• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abdominal cramps...what do you take?

Does anyone have any advice on what to take to help with abdominal cramping (either OTC or prescription)?

theOcean

I was put on dilaudid for awhile, but since it's an opiate it can cause constipation and you have to be careful.

Otherwise I just kind of used my stress ball and toughed it out, unfortunately. :( Hope you feel better soon.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Probably not an answer you were hoping for but I practice mindfulness meditation (body scans and breathing meditations) it helps to reduce any mental stress that may exacerbate physical pain.

Also, to make sure that certain cramps are not caused by trapped gas or specific foods, I make fresh ginger tea to calm the stomach and help my body break down gas.

Outside of that most pain medications only mask the pain, they don't get rid of it. also NSAIDs should be avoided whenever possible due to their ability to trigger or aggravate flares. I just tough it out to the best of my ability until it goes away.

Wishing you much comfort very soon :hug:

Thanks guys. I am heading off to Italy tonight and have an 8 hour flight to endure while in the midst of one of my worst flares ever. I usually also just tough it out, but I tend to moan unknowingly when I am cramping. At least I managed to secure an aisle seat for the large leg of the trip. I still feel sorry for the person seated next to me though...

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Oh man, that sound rough! Have a safe flight and hopefully things don't get too uncomfortable for you during your flight and trip! Aisle seats are the money seats when you aren't feeling well for sure!

As for the other person.....not much can be done about that, at least they only have 8 hours with you :p Maybe if by some miraculous reason the plane isn't too crowded you can ask the stewardess for an open seat somewhere.

I have taken Tylenol which slightly helps. Otherwise a hot water bottle/pad is my go to. If you have a hot water bottle you could bring it with you and ask the flight attendant to fill it with the hot water they always have for tea maybe.

valleysangel92

Staff member
I usually take buscopan when I have bad cramps, they gently stop/reduce the spasms that cause cramps and are gentle on the stomach. I know they are widely available in the UK (they have IBS relief in the UK but my GP and GI say they are ideal for IBD too) . The usual advice is to take 1 3-4 times a day although I've been prescribed 2 4x a day . I usually only have to take one dose with some paracetamol (tylenol) and then my cramps disappear within half an hour.

Thanks Valleysangel. I just googled buscopan and it came up with hyoscine butylbromide. I actually ahve an anti-spasmodic which was prescribed to me a while ago labeled hyoscyamine. Probably the same thing or similar, wouldn't you think? I completely forgot about it. I think I will take it along just in case.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Yes I would imagine that's a similar thing, buscopan is just the common brand here. Hopefully it well help to settle things down for you. Just remember that some people find these meds affect their vision, so if you need to drive make sure you aren't affected first (or take them after you've finished driving) .

I take MM when i'm home but cant do that on a regular.

I would take Tylenol and a sleep aid. Sleeping relaxes my body and helps with flare cramps. Also Immodium seems to help the urgency feeling.

I take MM when i'm home but cant do that on a regular.

I would take Tylenol and a sleep aid. Sleeping relaxes my body and helps with flare cramps. Also Immodium seems to help the urgency feeling.
In the UK MM is not an option but I wish it was. I tried to find a trial but nothing here unfortunately.

Levisin didn't touch this last cramping flare. Had cramps with pain and D. Finally saw GI and have started Entocort. After 4 days starting to feel some relief.

I really like Naproxen but think I have abused it when I had my rotator cuff repair. Now I only take it ever so often even though I know it's a no drug. I'm hoping to get on some maintenance meds soon!