• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abdominal distention

guest20

ellazmeanie
Does anyone else have constant distention and breathing discomfort which are my main and worse symptoms, since all began no meds such as mebervine or any other ibs medication have eased these symptoms even slightly and never heard anyone else mention constant distention or bloating.

Sorry for the late reply - how are you now? I have constant stomach bloating and my abdomen is always distended. It's so bad that every time a doctor examines me they comment on it - some have even suspected I had a blockage, it's been that bad, but there was no blockage, just bloating!

Have you heard of gastroparesis? The forum has a support group for it: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=58833

It's a condition where your stomach empties too slowly, which can cause bloating. You'd probably also find you feel full easily and have no appetite if you have this. Recently I was in hospital and a doctor was so concerned by the size of my stomach that I was sent for a gastric emptying study, which is a test that measures the rate at which food leaves your stomach.

I think the appearance of my stomach is also affected by how thin I am - because I'm so thin, my stomach looks even more prominent because I'm so out of proportion. However, it has not caused me any breathing problems. Certain foods can make bloating worse (e.g. beans and some vegetables), though I've never found this myself, and eating several snack-sized meals a day rather than three larger ones may help.

Another possible cause of bloating can be fluid retention. There are many possible causes of fluid retention, including medication side effects. I know prednisone often causes it. Reducing your salt intake can help with this. However, fluid retention is more likely to be seen around your ankles and feet or in your face than on your stomach.

guest20

ellazmeanie
Hi I'm surviving thank you hope your well not sure but from the way the distension started morning after basically unintentionally over dosing on soluble migraine medication I thought then that the way I collapsed and came round with the distention that the meds had something to do with it.Many doctors swear blind that's not the case and for the last 20 year's have blamed mental health and ibs total crap,also the 2 week's leading up to the collapse we're the start of what I now know to be cluster headaches coincidence I think and nothing to do with the distention only weird thing is that a doctor I saw only a month or so prior had a weird moment and foresaw the stomach problems warned me to take care saw in my eyes apparently so what state I was in even then I don't know.Learned since I had scarring grom past duodenal ulcers diet back then wasn't the best.Eat small regular these days though and cut out a lot of things.

guest20

ellazmeanie
Have breathing discomfort and very little pain in my guts the discomfort is the main symptom side's feel rigid and down centre from sternum to diaphragm like something is pressing on my diaphragm or restricting it from expanding and contracting

guest20

ellazmeanie
Reading around forum certain things about crohns vit b12 vit d deficiency skin teeth joint aches fatigue dizziness diarrhoea poor concentration headaches apart from the distention these are all things I suffer from.