• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abdominal lumps that move and gurgle

I'm in a flare-up at the moment, and it mainly consists of abdominal pain, cramping and sickness.

My first question is, when I have abdominal pain and cramping I massage my stomach to try and ease it but whilst massaging I notice massive lumps in my abdominal area and if I press them I get a strange gurgling noise and feeling in my gut and the lump moves on. I presume that it is just food getting backed up but has anyone else experienced this?

Second question, when I do try to massage my abdomen to move these lumps on I suddenly get nauseous and then it does not go away and mostly ends up with me vomiting 2 or 3 times. I never feel nauseous any other time except for if people are eating around me. Anyone else had this?

And finally, when I am feel this sickness, normally whilst I am in bed, I find I can't even move my head with feeling like I'm going to vomit, do you think that this is linked with the crohn's or is it something to do with my inner-ear or balance?

Would love to know your thoughts on this, as it is confusing me a little.

Normally when I'm vomiting I'm not having much in the way of bowel movements.

After a few days of it on the trot I did end up in hospital, but they couldn't find a blockage.

Nyx

Hmmm....don't know that is then...Sorry I'm not more helpful! I'd make an appointment with the doctor and get checked out. A CT Scan or scope should show what's going on there.

Good luck to you!!

I've told the doctor many times, and although the sickness is my worst symptom they don't seem to take any notice of it and are only interested if I'm having diarrhoea, which I rarely get, which I suppose is lucky in one case...

Dallies

Dragonfly
Cara- Meg had no diarrhea at all. However she did continue vomiting after food with cramps and pain. A colonoscopy and barium meal and follow through showed that she had a 2mm stricture in her small bowel. Your doctor needs to listen. Hope you get it sorted soon x

Last edited:

Nyx

I didn't have diarrhea at all either and wound up bursting a hole in my sigmoid colon and distending my bowel. Be insistent with your doctor about resolving this.

it does sound like some kind of obstruction to me... it could be a kink in your bowel, or a narrowing - particularly if massaging that area promotes a bout of vomitting.... i agree with what's been said here - get yourself to a doctor and make sure they listen to you. if need be, take someone with you who can put the message across if you don't feel strong enough to do so yourself.

i'd also advise coming off solid foods for now, and just stick with liquids, juice, clear soups etc, until you know what's going on.

good luck - please let us know how things go.

our symptoms sound the same

I've told the doctor many times, and although the sickness is my worst symptom they don't seem to take any notice of it and are only interested if I'm having diarrhoea, which I rarely get, which I suppose is lucky in one case...

I can relate to ur post. I don't have diarrhea, just loose bms sometimes. Even though I feel aweful and start to flare the doc always thinks I am fine because of a lack of D. So, I always end up in the er because no one ever listens to me. It is so fustrating!

Hey i have this sometimes and especially sickness, sickness is a major symptom of mine that seems to put me in hospital with dehydration i think its a hit and miss with different people. My doctor doesnt seem to take any notice either lol

Yeah, I'm exactly the same. The reason I ended up in hospital last time was because of dehydration due to sickness, and then they finally put me on prednisolone.

Haha i so wish i was you i just got the drips and good old fashioned paracetamol, still not diagnosed yet but sickness is deffinatly one of my worst symptoms

I'm in a flare-up at the moment, and it mainly consists of abdominal pain, cramping and sickness.

My first question is, when I have abdominal pain and cramping I massage my stomach to try and ease it but whilst massaging I notice massive lumps in my abdominal area and if I press them I get a strange gurgling noise and feeling in my gut and the lump moves on. I presume that it is just food getting backed up but has anyone else experienced this?

Second question, when I do try to massage my abdomen to move these lumps on I suddenly get nauseous and then it does not go away and mostly ends up with me vomiting 2 or 3 times. I never feel nauseous any other time except for if people are eating around me. Anyone else had this?

And finally, when I am feel this sickness, normally whilst I am in bed, I find I can't even move my head with feeling like I'm going to vomit, do you think that this is linked with the crohn's or is it something to do with my inner-ear or balance?

Would love to know your thoughts on this, as it is confusing me a little.
I hope I can still comment on this as it is not a recent post. . I have the same problem. Exactly, and I would like to know what you have found out.

I would also like to know about this. I also "have abdominal pain and cramping I massage my stomach to try and ease it but whilst massaging I notice massive lumps in my abdominal area and if I press them I get a strange gurgling noise and feeling in my gut and the lump moves on." But I have diarrhea not vomiting. I am in pain with cramps and I lie down and massage the lumps and other parts of my stomach - then I get diarrhea - or else I just pass wind - and I feel better for a while. I want to know if massaging the lumps is ok.

yes I have strictures - I think the lump is the blocked food - but it is not totally blocked - I can massage the lump and I think the food goes through. or else I have pain and no lump but I can massage and I get some gurgling or some kind of adjustment in the stomach. I feel like it helps with the pain - but I also feel uncertain randomly massaging my stomach like that.

I also have strictures and a lot of gurgling and discomfort but without lumps. I may need another surgery sooner or later I’m afraid…