• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abdominal pain 6wks post-op. normal?

Hello again to my most valued support group! It will be 6 weeks tomorrow since my laparoscopic ileocolectomy. I saw my surgeon after 2 weeks and he said I was doing really well and everything looked great. I am back to work and overall I feel disease-free (though I know better). I have been eating absolutely anything that I want to since I left the hospital, and have had no issues with my incision or anything else( and the D is gone, yay!). Everything went as I had expected after reading about it on these forums. I cannot find, however, information on the web about how long the surgical pain in your abdomen will last. When I get up after a show or sitting at my desk it still takes a while to stand up, and it still feels sore and "weird" in my abdomen..like someone is in there tugging on something. Also, I have hard lumps under my incision, both above and below my belly button (mostly above). I started getting paranoid that I have a hernia from picking up my grandson without thinking a few weeks ago (who is 22 lbs). The lumps are hard and tender, but don't stick out beyond my abdomen. Anyone have similar experiences? I really felt like I was healing ahead of schedule, but didn't expect these "lingering" symptoms. My follow-up with the GI is next week, but I was getting a little more paranoid because I developed a fever over the weekend. Turns out, the best thing for that are a couple of cosmopolitans:lol:

Hello sdexter!
I'm glad you are doing well after your surgery but from what I know usually the pain doesn't last that long also fever is not a normal thing but also it could mean many things.

I suggest either talk to your doctor since you are feeling concerned maybe he can advise you on what to do or order tests before your appointment. and watch out for new symptoms .. Or you can wait till your appointment since its next week.

Spooky1

i'mso pleased you're doing well, perhaps too well? must admit mine have all been open surgeries. I hope you are not overestimating what you can physically do so soon after surgery. Also, you probably don't have a scar right down the abdomen to remind you to acknowledge what has been cut about on the inside. its definitely early days. Its still sort of major surgery. Expect three months, i would. But i sincerely hope you continue to do well. i certainly had no remission from the big D after surgery, but i also had larger amounts removed.

best wishes
Diane

Hi I had laparascopic surgery removal of all of my large bowel it was three and a half months before pain went away and it supposed to be less pain too... Not sure that one was absolute agony. Take it easy and just rest, rest,rest it's still early days