• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abscess and sex

Hi all,
I have a quick question - sorry if it is a bit crude. I have an abscess in my butt cheek next to my anus. It has been draining for about a week and no longer hurts. It is a clear liquid that is coming out now.

Do you know if it is ok to have vaginal sex or if it will cause problems back there?. I forgot to ask the doc.

Carrie630

The Prettiest Princess
If it's still draining I'd probably bandage it up nicely to keep its fluid away from the sex and keep the sex fluid away from the abscess. I don't see why sex would be a problem unless it's really close to the vagina or something.

Hey luna, (i'm assuming that's your name)

Could you clarify what you mean by "draining"? Did it perforate through the skin on its own? Did you have it surgically drained? Is it a fistula?

Hi Carrie,
Thanks for the advice. Its in a horrible spot - not sure how you would bandage it?

Hi Ben,
It is an abcess that ruptured on its own. It is right next to my anus. For about a week it was agony and had blood and puss and mucosy looking stuff coming out. Now it does not hurt and clear liquid is coming out. They do not know if it is a fistula. Since it is getting better I have been told to leave it be and if it heals up it is ok if it starts getting worse or starts passing dark matter it is a fistula and I need to come in for an MRI and start talking about possible surgery.

Well. My non-professional advice would be to go for it, so long as you can tolerate it. If you find yourself in pain, stop. Like carrie said, try to keep the area clean.. I'm not sure if you'd be able to bandage it, but you might be able to stick some TP in your buttcrack and have your cheeks hold it together XD very sexy.

These kinds of things tend to get sore after exercise or excessive movement, so it might hurt a little after. But, if it doesn't hurt, why not give it a try? Just make sure to be gentle, and stop if the abscess starts to bleed or sting.

Carrie630

The Prettiest Princess
wahahah omg, Ben.

I was thinking you could use a gauze square and bandage tape. Or crotchless panties over Ben's TP idea???

Bless your heart Carrie. I have been in that situation (although my abscess was vaginal)and I did not even want to think about sex. I'm not sure who suffered more through those times, me or my husband.

I hope things clear up for you soon. As others have said, if it doesn't hurt, I say go for it. If you continue to have problems with your abscess filling up and draining, you might want to talk to your doc about a course of Cipro and Flagyl, which I always found to help with that.

You guys are great. Thank you so much for the advice.
Everyday it is a little better so things are looking up. :)
I braved the sex and had no issues. Yay!

And Ben, the whole tp clenched in the butt cheeks idea cracked me up. No pun intended.

-Barbara

I have permanent draining perianal fistula and I've had good luck with CVS brand Gauze Sponges. They're soft, don't lint, and they absorb a truly unholy volume of pus, blood, serous fluid, whatever. I just open one pouch, take out both sponges, fold them in half, and, errr... tuck them in. No tape required. It works quite well. I carry extras in my briefcase.

I have permanent draining perianal fistula and I've had good luck with CVS brand Gauze Sponges. They're soft, don't lint, and they absorb a truly unholy volume of pus, blood, serous fluid, whatever. I just open one pouch, take out both sponges, fold them in half, and, errr... tuck them in. No tape required. It works quite well. I carry extras in my briefcase.
Could you send me a link, so I know what you're talking about? I'm looking for something nicer than borrowing my sister's pantiliners. :(

On a side note, I kinda want to buy a briefcase just for my crohn's supplies XD

Hey thanks! Thats great. I will try that too.
I know this is a bit off topic but although the abscess seems to slowly be getting better it has been bleeding in the morning for my first bm the last two days. This morning it was kind of a lot and there were some clots... Should I be worried? Does anyone else have this?

Flow kinda changes around, depending on days, I find. Once, my fistula was bleeding so bad, it was running down my leg before I could get in the tub. Blech.

I would worry. There's blood there. It can clot up or scab easily. Just as long as it isn't oozing anything green, or starting to grow big again.

Hi! I think your question about abscesses and sex was a good one. I tried to research this while also having a seton and there really was no info. Wanted firstly to know if it was possibile and if so could it casue any damage. Braved it and was doable! Seton is removed now and just about back to normal.
Good luck to all out there!

Ahhh. I think I meant "I wouldn't worry" in my last post... hahahha. oops. Sorry if you've been running around in hysterics because of my typo'ed suggestion.

Mooch: Congrats on the seton removal!

I figured out what you meant Ben. No running around in terror. :)

The thing has gotten smaller but is still leaking blood and icky stuff.
Some is green. :p

I have an apt in a couple weeks and bet that the GI is going to send me for a MRI to make sure it there is not a fistula. She mentioned that if things didn't get better that was the next step for me. Has anyone had that kind of MRI? Do you get a dye injection or enema or something before the procedure?

I had to do a barium swallow, get IV contrast dye, and get an enema from the CT Tech mid procedure. They'll let you know when they schedule it, I think. I don't recall being warned about the enema.

I have mine "bandaged" all the time. I still have yet to buy the CVS gauze, but i'm leaving on furday. For now, I wear a pantiliner, and then shove some tp up my bum. Maximum protection. ;)

I've read of people sticking cotton balls up there too, but I've never tried it, because my wounds from the seton surgery are still open (since may woohoo), and I don't really feel like shoving a fuzzy gauze thing up there. But if you can tolerate it, you could try it. They absorb excellently!

I bandage my butt all the time and as yet there has been no sex so can't comment on that one, if there was less bandaging there might be more nooky ;)

you guys are hilarious and i got some of these issues going on too half the time i dont know what the hell! im starting remicade wed and ive heard this is supposed to help the fistulas big time?

I have an apt in a couple weeks and bet that the GI is going to send me for a MRI to make sure it there is not a fistula. She mentioned that if things didn't get better that was the next step for me. Has anyone had that kind of MRI? Do you get a dye injection or enema or something before the procedure?
hey!

i had an MRI for a perianal abscess turned fistula. it was a bit different from muppet's scan though. it was a pelvic MRI so was just a normal MRI with iv contrast through my arm for the second half of the scans. :)

also, i too am in love with guaze! allll the time. lol :D

kate

Hi lj3. Remicade does have some good potential to heal fistulas completely, and even more potential to heal a fistula so that it isn't a bother. Either it can close over, and you'll have no fistula, or the skin can heal well, and form a nice fistula, which shouldn't hurt or require a seton. Like an ear piercing!