• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abscess drained. Healing time

Hi all,

I am new here. I had an abscess wrongly diagnosed as a thombrosed hemmy, 2 months ago. Long story short I had the abscess drained 6 weeks ago, it was a very small perianal abscess. The doctor never really told me the healing time. 2 weeks ago it was itchy, now it kind of hurts after a bowel movement. I have my husband look at it and it's looking better, the hole is closing but hasn't completely closed. I am just wondering how long it takes to heal. And how would I know if I have a fistula?

Thanks in advance everyone!

nogutsnoglory

There really is no time frame as everyone is different. It can certainly take a few weeks but if it looks like it's closing that's positive. The best way to be certain is to have your GI check it and have a pelvic MRI to see if there is any infection left or a fistula developed. Just monitor your symptoms in the meantime pain, fever, discharge would be indicative that something is still wrong.

There is a tiny bit of discharge when I go running, but tiny as like the size of tear or smaller.
Are there certain symptoms for a fistula?
Thank you for your help! I haven't had much luck searching the internet!

nogutsnoglory

Well it's normal to drain for a while. Many of the fistula symptoms are the same but sometimes it can be present without you knowing. I think an MRI is the best way to rule it out and ensure full healing.

Mine took eight months to heal. I had two emergency surgeries on it 10 days apart. I had three sitz baths a day for the eight months. Sometimes I thought it was healed and stopped the sitz baths but it would flare back up, so I did the baths as normal for a full week past when it was healed and then tapered down.

I hope yours heals MUCH faster!

Oh my gosh that scares me! But you are right it will feel better but then hurt again, like right now! We're yours small? It's amazing how small it was and how long it's taking to heal... 8 weeks so far!!

I've only had the one, and I am not quite sure how big it was - it seemed to be the size of a toonie (not sure if you are Canadian - $2 coin) it seemed deep as they put a big string of packing in there. <<<shudder>>>

so its been about 3 months post surgery now.. its still sore down there. Not back to "normal". While I had the perianal abscess drained I also had a small skin tag (hemmy) cut off. The pain I feel now kind of feel like there is a cut down there, and it looks like the hemmy is coming back - or is this just the surgery scar?
Can I just expect to have pain for the rest of my life? I still do siltz baths after bowel movements. It doesn't feel like an abscess- I know that feeling! but kind of like it might sting if I got #1 and it gets in there.
Wow that is a lot of TMI!

I had perirectal abscess and emergency surgery in May of 2014, it's still not healed! I'm feeling hopeless! Any suggestions or experiences with this?