• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abscess

Alright where to start... I just got home from a three day hospital stay. The doctors found a abscess on the outside of my gi track that I have had for over a year now (they looked back on pass ct scans.). However I have been in a really bad flare for the last two months or so. They think that is was is driving the abscess to really bother me right now. I was just wondering what to look out for if this doesn't go away by its self. The doctors don't seem to worried about it but I don't want to wait until it is to late. The doctors say they if it doesn't go down by itself they will go in and take it out. I feel great right now I have 6 around of iv antibiotic, 80 mg of humira, and 60mg of steroids twice a day while in the hospital. Now that I'm out just 60 mg once a day of the steroids. Any be there done that stories would be great!! I want to know anything please.

Well with all my abcesses they surgically removed and then placed a JP tube to drain out any pus or blood.They said they didn't want me to get septic.I know last time I had 2 one and orange size and the other a grapefruit.One of them actually leaked out feces beside my ostomy bag instead of in it.It made small hole in my stomach and drained.I almost became septic then.They actually just did a CT scan on me Thrusday because there is reason to believe I have another abcess.I find out next Thrusday the results

hi britt,
I hope your abscess clears after all that antibiotic. Thats amazing you had it for over a year and didnt know. I have never had one so cant comment but I am glad to hear you are feeling great!

:hang:

Wendy

Viv, Thank you for the feedback. I see my gi doctor on Wednesday. I can't wait to see what he has to say about all this. Keona, Thank you for the well wishes. This is the best I have felt in months. I just keep waiting for the pain to come back.

Hi Britt!

I got diagnosed with Crohn's after they found an abscess in my lower right quadrant. I suspect I had had it for at least 6 months before they found it because that's when i started having pains.

Mine was drained with a needle and I was put on IV antibiotics for 12 days. They pulled the drain a couple days before they discharged me as the abscess had pretty much healed and sent me home with 2 weeks worth of antibiotics (Flagyl and Cipro).

The one thing I remember from the surgeon who was working on my case was how strongly against surgery he was. He said it wasn't worth the risk of extra infection. Having that bacteria-filled abscess + cutting my insides and possibly spilling some of it wasn't an option for him. He did not want me to get sepsis. So, they doped me up and stuck a needle in my belly to suck it out. I remember it hurting as they pushed my abdomen to get all the gunk out, but thank goodness it healed up quickly. It was the size of a baseball too. So, if it's possible to get it drained rather than surgically removed, I'd ask about that.

Keep us updated on what your docs say!

I wish I had that opportunity Twilight!They just keep cutting me open because mine get so enlarged they have nothing else to do.The one abcess I had on my rectum is the only one they drained and come to find out they didn't even drain it all the way so I was back in the hospital again to have it drained thus being it still wasn't gone and one of the reason I got stuck losing my colon and my rectum because of internal bleeding for 3 years on and off after that.

I see my Gi in two days. I can't wait. Right now had pain again that sent me to the bathroom. First time for pain since last Thursday. It felt great to be semi-normal for a couple of days. I been having pain straight for two months or so, and working at a day camp where I am always on the move is killing me. Thank god we only have a week and a half left. Hopefully I can make it to the end of camp. Thank you guys for all the info it really helps me understand what I might be up against here. My abscess is only 2 cm. right now. The doctors are hoping it doesn't get any bigger.

I hope for you that you make it through and it doesn't get any bigger.My sister in law is a nurse and she said that it feels like I have another abcess too.So hopefully my CT Scan tells whats up on Thrusday