• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abscess

I have had three fistulas and three abscesses. can you have an abscess
that's also a fistula??
oh, and because I don't feel like starting ANOTHER thread, do oranges
and other citrus fruits bother you guys? I am soo jealous of anybody eating
an orange right now, but not enough to get another flare. unless it was like
100 oranges or something. ya I know, my priorities are messed up...

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I have never had a fistula but I heard on another thread they can abcess. Abcess's are like boils in your intestines and if broken inside they can cause Peritonitis with is a poison, that means it should never be left untreated. I am sure others will see this who do have fistulas.

As for citrus, I am a hit or miss, but most citrus are acidic and can cause D or heartburn. Hey we all have cravings we just have to decide how they affect us, if it is worth it lol. :(

THANKS!!!
I didn't know that. But my abscesses always explode. But they aren't
in my colon, they r in my butt. well it exploded by itself once, and twice
during a surgery they exploded it for me. and then they put in draining tubes.
ooooh new thread idea!!!
and thanks sooooo much!!!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Sorry, I answered your other thread before I saw this one...Yes, If the fistula isn't allowed to drain, an abscess will form. I saw you had drains placed in the other thread. Were they Seton drains??? They keep the fistula track open so the fluid can drain and not form the abscess. I would assume the surgeon is having you irrigate with saline to keep the area clean from any debris or even fecal matter that may be in the area. Wow, I can imagine it is sort of like self torture. I hope this answer helps.

Thanks popcorn!!
I had two setons (drain) and one mallicot (i think thats how you spell it)
to squirt with saline. I get so scared of putting saline in myself.
it ruins my day because i'm always like "oh ya, i have to put
saline in today" and i start getting sad.

I can imagine how that would put a damper on your day...I work as an LPN and i always imagine irrigation must be so uncomfortable for my patients. Hopefully things get better for you soon, it sounds like it's been a long road.

A fistula is an abscess that has wormed it's way to other organs, or the outside world. You can also get a fistula from an ulcer that hasn't abscessed - ie just a straight tract, and an abscess without a fistula.

Seton's suck. But fibrin glue rocks! - so far, crosses fingers toes and everything that'll cross...