• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abscesses (potentially gross questions inside!)

I made a disturbing discovery today! While I was washing in the shower I felt something abnormal. I already have two fistulas that have broken through the skin and like to bleed and ooze, so one more probably wouldn't have bugged me so much... but... This one is in a very unfortunate area.

It's about an inch and a half away from my last fistula, but it is visible from the front. I really hope I'm mistaken and it's not a fistula making an abscess, but I don't know what else it would be. It's about the size of a nickel, it's red and when you touch it, it is squishy. (Feels like the others I've had).

Has anyone managed to get their's to go away? I really don't want to have to explain to anyone what it is. :(

Did you let them know you think you have an abscess. If they can fix it now then you can possibly save yourself from having another fistula. Although apparently for me I had an abscess for abour four years which went undiscovered up until a few months ago. I don't have a fistula. But still I would try to get the appoinment moved up if possible.

Jeff D. said:
Did you let them know you think you have an abscess. If they can fix it now then you can possibly save yourself from having another fistula. Although apparently for me I had an abscess for abour four years which went undiscovered up until a few months ago. I don't have a fistula. But still I would try to get the appoinment moved up if possible.
I didn't realize that it could become a fistula if I let it go, thanks for sharing that.

Now I just have to decide, is it really an abscess or is it something else? I wouldn't want to push up my appointment if it's just some benign skin condition. Maybe I'll just give them a call and ask them what they think I should do.

Well after further worrying and self examination I'm pretty sure it's not an abscess (yay!)

When I was on pred and enteral(tube) feedings at the same time (many years ago now) I had gained a lot of weight. This sudden weight gain caused stretch marks. Even though I lost a lot of the weight I still have them. There's a couple trenchlike ones on my behind that I think have become irritated or something, because it looks more like a big blood blister.

Are they painful? It is possible they are something different than fistulas.

Have you had these in the past in other places?

Dan

M

michels1

You should still probably be checked out..I have had several abcesses that have required surgery and drains (yuck!) In my experience they seem to start out as almost nothing and quickly get bad. If the dr refuses to see you immediately, I would suggest, although I truly understand the trauma of it, that you be seen in the ER. If it is the beginning of an abcess, they can go ahead and open it plus start you on antibiotics. Good Luck.

C

ccarp001

could it possibly be a cyst? i've been lucky enough to have those along w/abscesses and fistulas. they can look similar to an abscess, they usually a little firmer. good luck at the doc!

Kev

Yeah, I would think any immune suppressing drugs would make folks more prone to issues like this... And, IF these are anywhere in the proximity of the tailbone, it is quite common in men, esp young men. Sweat from the back can funnel through this area; accumulated sweat, skin oil secretions, all play host to potential issues. Development of boils N cysts in these areas are fairly typical; and often can be of a hard nature to avoid; even with proper treatment they can recur or worsen. I don't know how many guys I've known who've developed them, even had to have operations to try to resolve them (close proximity to cocyx is potentially not good).. Be sure to have a dr examine it.

I am on imuran

It ended up going away. I think it was caused by major skin stretching by the way it healed. I've gained 25-30lbs since my surgery last year and my skin doesn't stretch well I guess.

I did develop an actual abscess elsewhere last week. I just went off to the doctor's office today and he sent me to the ER to get it taken care of. That was very un-fun!

Yep had that one yesterday at 3 in the morning. Fun time:) Take some soaks in aveeno if you can it helps soothe the area especially after all of the prying and poking and well you know the rest.lol

They froze the area when they did the procedure yesterday. How long would it take for that to wear off completely? I'm asking because the doc told me that the pain shouldn't get worse, it should get better. Today it hurts a lot more than it did last night.

I'm such a worry wart. :)