• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Abssess for past 17years

I'm 34 years old living in South Africa , country of origin Zimbabwe in year 2000 had an absess on my anal , did surgery and it was drained but it never healed.2016 had to go to see my doctor had to cut and drain it for the past 2week had to go for dressing.My life it's been a nightmare since the age of 18.

It is very painful when I'm at work I do go to the bathroom to squeeze it pus yellowish comes out sometimes mixed with blood.
can't even tell my girlfriend sometimes I can't sleep at night rubbing and squeezing to reduced the pain.
I have tried many things not helping if they is someone out there who can tell me what to do that can helping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey. Sorry to hear about what you are going through. What do you mean by abscess that never healed for 17 years? The wound never closed or it developed into a fistula?

I am going through something similar now. Had 2 abscess drained with one still open and draining 'Actual' pus for 8 weeks straight. I am on Steroids and Azathioprine now to control the disease and hoping the fistula closes.

The last time I had an abscess that developed into a fistula was 4.5 years ago. I didn't want surgery so I found some natural remedy (Warm Milk with Ghee). I am not sure if it did the trick but the abscess/fistula closed then.

cmack

Staff member
Hi Brighton,

I can sympathize with you. This happened to me too. I needed antibiotics(ciprofloxacin and flagyl, which is also called metronidazole) after my surgeries, as well as packing. You should be sure to tell the doctor about your pain, maybe they can give you painkillers or help in other ways.

Have you tried a sitz bath? There are kits that you buy at the pharmacy for these. They are fairly cheap. I used them while I was recovering from abscess surgery and it helped me.

A sitz bath may decrease your pain, help with healing and relax your anal muscle. You may need to do this more than once a day. Ask your doctor for information on how to use a sitz bath and how often you should use it.

I hope this helps,

cmack