• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Accidents in public. How you deal with them.

Accidents in public, what's your story?

I'm starting this thread so that we can vent about our public accidents. Get them off of our chests where we won't be judged, can laugh a little, and get some support by knowing how others deal with it.

Now a days my accidents are different because of my stoma. The last public accident I had was at the miniature train in Fort Worth. I stupidly wore white linen pants and had an accident at the end of the ride. The only way to my car was to walk away from the other 60 people on the train with poo all over the back of my white pants. My 3 year old son at the time grabbed my hand and said it would be ok. So I held my head up and strutted to my car. :cool:

What a wonderful moment with your son :) Makes me smile!

I have had a few accidents but was luckily able to have it happen in the car. At the time we had leather seats :) However, that was actually my main concern when we got a different car - I wanted leather seats for easy clean up! I can't believe that my preference for the kind of car i get has come down to easy clean up after pooping my pants, lol.

I am considering getting seat covers and carrying a backpack of clean up essentials just in case. I wonder what other do to be prepared.

I love the idea of this thread. I was so embarrassed when my first accident happened I hid it from my husband even though I knew he'd understand. I've just been in such denial about so much of my Crohn's issues for so long. Now it is what it is.....

I know what you mean. I used to get so embarrassed and not want my husband or family to see or know certain things but now we joke about it and make the best of it!
I'm so glad that you feel comfortable with it now!

I hear you about the seats. When I had that accident I was in my husbands car. When he got home I told him I got poo on his car seat and he said, "We'll I've been needling a new car anyways." Lol

I have a small box in the back of my car with a cheap pair of pants, shirt, undies and flip flops just incase I need to do a quick change!

I hear you about the seats. When I had that accident I was in my husbands car. When he got home I told him I got poo on his car seat and he said, "We'll I've been needling a new car anyways." Lol

I have a small box in the back of my car with a cheap pair of pants, shirt, undies and flip flops just incase I need to do a quick change!
Love the quote from your husband, lol. ahhh, I wish flip flops could be a staple for my closet....It is currently the warmest part of the day here and it is only 15 degrees with a windchill of 2 :eek2: I've long said we need to move to Texas!

Holy cow!!! I couldn't handle that cold. We like it hot hot hot down here lol.
Maybe you could throw some old snow boots back there? Lol
Right now it's 65 and I'm wishing it were warmer!!!

In my trunk and in my locker: trash bags, beach towel (excellent changing tent in a pinch), antibacterial wipes (for the non-genital regions and surfaces), summer's eve feminine wipes (shower fresh right? lol), baby powder, two extra pairs of panties and scrubs, and last but not least the delightful adult diaper (in case it feels like it's just not going to be my day again). This kit has saved me twice in past year:) Stay calm, act cool, nobody notices you are slipping out of soiled pants behind your door in the parking lot.

What a wonderful moment with your son :) Makes me smile!

I have had a few accidents but was luckily able to have it happen in the car. At the time we had leather seats :) However, that was actually my main concern when we got a different car - I wanted leather seats for easy clean up! I can't believe that my preference for the kind of car i get has come down to easy clean up after pooping my pants, lol.

I am considering getting seat covers and carrying a backpack of clean up essentials just in case. I wonder what other do to be prepared.

I love the idea of this thread. I was so embarrassed when my first accident happened I hid it from my husband even though I knew he'd understand. I've just been in such denial about so much of my Crohn's issues for so long. Now it is what it is.....
When you're really flaring you can put a garbage bag on your carseat underneath you where noone can see it. I have done that a couple times.

I carry an emergency kit in my trunk with a complete change of clothes. I have not had to use it since my surgery (YEAH!) but before the surgery in 2010 it was used once in a while.

I learned to always have a change available when I had my first public accident.... at a business meeting..... over 60 miles away from home ..... had to dismiss myself..... go to a clothing store and buy a change of clothes..... use their restroom to clean up and change.

I always carry a small washbag containing spare underwear, baby wipes, disposal bag and a pair of black leggings, if I've worn trousers I excuse the leggings by saying I spilt coffee and if I've worn tights I say they laddered 'course this works for us girlies but a pair of joggers might work for the boys had to use recently dosen't get any easier but hey ho

I keep a spare change in my desk at work, and I have a change of clothes in my trunk as well. Last time I had my car's oil changed, I had the idea not to take off the plastic seat cover they put on. I should probably add the wipes to my collection of emergency supplies. :)