• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Aches and pains coming off prednisone?

I've been tapering off from 30mg pred over the last few weeks. Am now down to 5mg. Today I've had most horrible aching in my lower back and legs/thighs/knees etc. Plus overwhelming fatigue. Is this normal when coming off??
I'm also on pentasa and mercaptopurine but have been fine on those so far so don't think it's a side effect of those.

predisone withdrawal. I would say yes, your aches and pains are related from tapering prednisone..
I had been on and off predisone nearly 25 yrs of my life. untill it helped no more which was 12/24/16. since being off predisone five months now, i can tell you i got aches and pains in places i never had before. knees, shoulders, elbows so far. i do suffer from back pain but so far that hasn't happened yet. also there was some ankle swelling. So in my book prednsione masked all these aches and now that i am off, i'm hurting. there are meds for it though if interested will advise.

When is starting tapering off 4omgs a day I would get terrible pain in my hips. To the point that it hurt to walk. I recommend using a icy hot where you can and switching between ice and heat. That helped me quite a bit. Mine had gotten so bad I had gone into urgent care, they basically told me there was nothing they could do about it and it'll stop eventually.

Best of luck to you