• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Acid reflux or stricture?

I have awful burning round my stomach area that Acid PPI,s are not even touching, it is so miserable, thing is I only had surgery about 11 weeks ago and they are saying that it is wind in my large intestine, disagree with this,as I have this pain on waking all through the day,even after I have been to the toilet, surely if it's wind it would disappear when it comes out the bottom end, No I am absolutely sure I have another stricture, but this time it's at the top end.I am in the unfortunate position I have not enough bowel left for any further surgery,so apart from being really depressed about this severe ongoing pain,I am also quite scared.All my bloods seem ok they keep telling, but so they was when I had a massive stricture (all my bowel stuck together )so that does not mean anything.Am now waiting for the IBD nurse to ring me back as I need to get into next clinic, next Tuesday, can't take this anymore, Op 11 weeks ago and I have been in major pain since,to be honest I cannot keep going through this much longer.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Trish22, I've moved this post to its own thread so that you will hopefully get some more responses here.

Have you had an upper endoscopy lately? If not, you might consider asking for one to see what's going on exactly. What kind of operation did you have 11 weeks ago?

Had a 4th Ileo colonic bowel resection, and was shocked to find out a week later I have been left with 1.4 metre of small bowel and all the problems I have now coming with this problem.

nogutsnoglory

It would be surprising for a stricture to develop that quickly after surgery and while unusual it's not impossible. There shouldn't be a burning sensation that you are experiencing though. I think you may need imaging done to get to the root of the issue. Good luck.

My thanks NGNG.ihave had my weekly bloods back today,because of taking azathioprine,they were all good she said, she thinks I may have acid reflux or tiny ulcers in my stomach,which she said they have now found out often happens straight after abdominal surgery,due to the bowel not liked being handled.i have had my PPI changed two days ago and am taking 2x40mg tablets at present,pantAprazole I think they are called, also she has told me to take gaviscon every couple of hours and to be honest this has made a difference this afternoon,taking the antacid gaviscon,She said by keeping this up for the next few days religiously it should make a difference,otherwise she will get me into clinic next Tuesday and they will take it from there,whether I need an endoscopy.
Thanks for your reply NGNG

Yeah ulcers can be very painful!! They cause burning in the stomach upper abdoman especially if it's a duodenal ulcer the can cause back pain and awful reflux and indigestion and they can take a while to heal stick with theeds and u will start to feel better soon

I've said this before on other posts - but I really feel that eliminating grains would be a huge help. I'm not saying that it will solve all your problems, but in all the folks I've counseled and in my own practice, eliminating grains will help.

I've been reading up on acid reflux it's hard to believe it causes upper left shoulder blade pain, shortness of breath, pain in chest, pain in neck, headaches, and linked to sinuses???? Wow I just switched back to prilosec 40mg daily and it's been rough to say the least I may need something else I'm thanking a zantac before bed or a tagament just tell I get this beast tamed it's rough!!