• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Active duty Navy on remicade

I have been on Remicade for about a year now. I have been on shore duty the entire time, but should be rolling back to sea in another year. My GI doc tells me I will have problems screening for sea duty . Has anyone had any experience returning to sea duty receiving remicade infusions. I was diagnosed with UC in 2007 and place limdu, but was able to control symptoms with steroids. Had a PEB found fit to return to duty. My last flare, last year, I didn't respond well to steroids and was placed on remicade.

What is the plan to continue treatment when you are at sea? That would be the biggest concern.....
I think that is the issue! Ships can't carry biological medications. I was wondering if anyone has successfully screened for sea duty and was able to deploy. I am too close to being eligible for retirement to get kicked out now. I have heard of people remaining on shore duty to finish out their careers. I wouldn't mind that as long as I was able to retire.

I think my doctors plan is to keep me on remicade as long as it is remaining effective. My understanding is this is for the rest of my life.