• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Activia and probiotics beneficial for people with Crohn's Disease and IBD?

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Have any of you heard of the new yoghurt by Danone called Activia. It basically is the first comercially sold product (so they claim I believe) that contains added probiotics. Bifidus Digestivum is added into the yoghurt, to provide your body with some more of that good bacteria.

Have any of you heard of this product or take it? I tried it (it was actually very good) but I do not know if there were any positive effects from taking it. It tastes really good (better than some yoghurts) and comes in some interesting flavours (I liked pear). The downside is that this is a more expensive yoghurt than most others.

M

meowsie

I tried it, and it wasn't too bad. There are other yogurts out there that contain the same good bacteria and are not nearly as expensive. Yami is one of them. I haven't tried it yet, but I have some sitting in my fridge. Check the labels on all the different brands of yogurt in your local grocery store. You'd be surprised how many of them contain more than just acidophilis. Some of the more "obscure" (read: less nationally popular) brands are more likely to have more of the "good stuff" in them.

J

Janet

Instead of Activia I take Lactobacillus because I can't eat yogurt every day. It didn't seem to do anything except make me fart more :-D

M

meowsie

The reason my doc was so hot on Activia is b/c it has the bifidus bacteria in it. I found a capsule w/ acidophilis and bifidus in it at my local vitamin shop. My theory: the more "good guys" in my gut the better!

S

Skinsfan1229

Ive tried it but I take it wwith acidiphillus and mixed probiotics. I always try to eat a yogurt each day, it doesnt really matter which one...all yogurt has this in it...dannon is just the first to actually advertise it for "US"

Kev

Last year I was on a regimen of acidophilis, Centrum Silver, Salofalk & eating so much
yogurt it was comming out my ears (including Danone Activia). My condition worsened
until I removed lactose from my diet. (on the advice of my latest GI). No other part of my regimen changed, yet I noticed immediate improvement. My current problem is a lack of yogurt products that are lactose free, or even reduced. (found 1 plain yogurt that is 90% lactose free - can everyone say yuck? I knew you could). For those who have no problem associated with lactose, I heartily recommend Activia, if for no other reason than taste. It had to be one of the best tasting yogurts that I have tried. But the price? Wow, talk about targeting just your upscale market!!

D

Donna

I haven't tried that particular brand yet, because like meowsie said, some of the less known brands also have the right stuff in it, and don't cost so much. I haven't noticed any change in me either, and I have been trying to eat about 1 a day, if not, then every other day.

Now my mom, who suffers from IBS started eating Activia regularly. She has noticed a DRAMATIC increase in more formed stools and less belly aches. She also has tried to cut out dairy everywhere else, so this mite be a help as well. She said she feels better, doesn't seem to be as hungry as often, and has less diarhea, and seems to have less gut pains.

I guess it depends on the person whether it will work for you or not.

Donna

L

Lyssa

I have been eating activa for awhile now and i think it actually helps. I am a person who doesn't really like yogurt to being with, but this activa isn't to bad. I would really recommend it to others. It's good to have one every morning for breakfast.

A

alan

A key part of SCD is the yogurt because of the good bacteria. But you need to make it yourself. Yogurt needs to ferment for at least 24 hours to get rid of all/most of the lactose. Virtually all commercial yogurts have way too much lactose because they are not 24 hour fermented. Making it yourself is easy once you get used to it.

I'm from Lebanon. And here we have yoghurt which is much more natural than the ones found in Europe and US; you can also find goat and sheep yoghurt in addition to cow yoghurt. Also they taste so much better than Activia. But I try to eat both to get as much good bacteria as possible.

I tried the probiotic supplements but they gave me so much gas, I stopped taking them!

S

stephrena

mikeyarmo said:
Have any of you heard of the new yoghurt by Danone called Activia. It basically is the first comercially sold product (so they claim I believe) that contains added probiotics. Bifidus Digestivum is added into the yoghurt, to provide your body with some more of that good bacteria.

Have any of you heard of this product or take it? I tried it (it was actually very good) but I do not know if there were any positive effects from taking it. It tastes really good (better than some yoghurts) and comes in some interesting flavours (I liked pear). The downside is that this is a more expensive yoghurt than most others.
howdy!
i was told by my doc today to try activia or order other probiotics online...i see you post here alot, i am looking for a crohns email support buddy if anyone is interested and has a few minutes during the week to exchange emails about crohns frustrations, feelings, etc.
stephrena@cox.net

R

ruthymg

Activia has been around for a while over here in the UK, we also have Actimel and Yakult which also contain good bacteria. My husband takes a couple of them a day and swears by them.

Ruth

hello, it was reccommended to me to try, just never got around to it. I really don't care too much for yogurt. maybe I will this one
~~~HUGS~~

F

fgillette1986

ruthymg said:
ooh thats a good idea, might try that, thanks.
You're welcome. It really does change the taste of the smoothie. My favorite is the strawberry flavor.

Soy alternatives

Kev said:
My current problem is a lack of yogurt products that are lactose free, or even reduced. (found 1 plain yogurt that is 90% lactose free - can everyone say yuck? I knew you could).
Hey Kev,

I used to work in a grocery store (that ate my life and lashed my soul with barbed whips till I got fed up and left for good) and in the nutrition section of a lot of grocery stores nowadays they have soy products with active cultures. Lactose free. Don't know how they taste, but they are out there.

Granted though, all that nutrition aisle stuff is all kinda pricey for the most part. Kinda like buying Activia in the first place.

Kinda gets me sometimes. Government whines about how America is getting fat, but doesn't help us actually afford to eat healthier.