• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Adapting to new lifestyle

Code:
I was recently diagnosed with Crohns dx. :redfce: I am new t all this. I'm lacking energy,ambition, and adaptation/acceptance. I'm so confused, moody, irratible,depressed and confused. My husband thinks i should -talk about it-. He thinks it will help me cope when I'm really trying to absorb everything that is changing. I'm scared and lost which in turn causes more stress, increased symptoms and tension with myself and family.:sign0

The GI specialst says I've been harboring this MAP bacteria for approximately 30 years and that this is the main rare undiscovered "reason" for my Crohns. Im swollen, sore, aching, down to skin n bones, thrush covered, restless and have severe insomnia. My irrational emotions are taking over my mind and body. :eek:I'm so dizzy (which I've never been!) I feel like it is endangering my children. I swoon when driving, my eyes seem to give out on me. Is it suppose to be like this.
Thank you-

Last edited:
Hi, sorry to hear about your recent DX . I was DX in July of this year. It is a good idea to talk about and I find this to be the perfect place to do it. Everyone here is dealing with
similar issues. Different degrees, but to be able talk to people who understand helps.
I, too, am tired all the time . I've gone from being really active to being exhausted. I was on prednisone which did help but I was really irritable and gained weight. I haven't gone into remission since I was finally DX. I was DX with IBS before crohns and was in severe pain almost daily. My Dr. is appealing my ins. co so that I can get the prodedures I need . From what I know, our bodies don't absorb the nutrients we need, hence being tired. As far as depressed , totally understandable. I was really depressed when I first found out. I still have those days . I have 15 year old twin boys and they do not understand that I'm sick. They get mad at me sometimes and that just makes me feel worse. I got married in Dec. and feel like in sickness and in Heath means sickness in my case. My husband is only ever helpful and supportive but I'm pretty good at beating myself up about it. Everything you're feeling is normal. This forum will be helpful. It is for me. Unless you've had this it's hard to understand . That makes it hard to talk to others about it.

I missed the second part of your post. Are you on meds that make you dizzy? I've actually been dizzy often. I'm not sure if that's normal. If you feel your kids are endangered. I wouldn't drive and call your Dr. Straight away. I've passed out before after feeling dizzy, but my kids are 15. That's scary:( Sorry

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Code:
I was recently diagnosed with
My irrational emotions are taking over my mind and body. :eek:I'm so dizzy (which I've never been!) I feel like it is endangering my children. I swoon when driving, my eyes seem to give out on me. Is it suppose to be like this.
Thank you-
This part sounds more like anxiety symptoms from the stress of it all. I know I have experienced these same thoughts of worry & symptoms with my former anxiety attacks.

So sorry you are diagnosed. But I think you have found a good forum here. I'm new here too and everyone seems to be very informed and supportive.

I hope you can find some answers to your questions and peace through talking with others here.

:hang:

Code:
.........I'm lacking energy,ambition, and adaptation/acceptance. I'm so confused, moody, irratible,depressed and confused.... Im swollen, sore, aching, down to skin n bones... restless and have severe insomnia. My irrational emotions are taking over my mind and body. :eek: I'm so dizzy (which I've never been!) I feel like it is endangering my children. I swoon when driving, my eyes seem to give out on me. Is it suppose to be like this.
Thank you-

AMEN! :runaway:

Acheallova

The dizziness onset came on again recently for me during this flare but I've had problems before from malnourishment and dehydration so we are looking at that again.
I have other new vision issues this time that may need to be seen at the eye doctor though. blurriness burning behind eyes etc... plus i just saw him 6 weeks ago and no probems then. *sigh*

But I completely understand the feelings that creep in about being adequate moms for the lack of a better term because by golly..... I want to be a lot more than just adequate at anything and would feel like such a failure if I felt I couldn't fulfill that role I'd chosen.

MOM, great title!

Hugs,
Auntie Em

Im procrastinating, supposed to b making appointment with ophthalmologist but currently "not working" so lost insurance. Worried about taking care of my girls n husband (since he is disabled- almost lost him in '04). So, yes feel inadequate for my family right now. All i want to do is sleep, but can't; thus, don't function very well :(.

Now that you know you have Crohn's, you can take the first steps to getting the support you need (and this site seems really great!) I wish the very best for you.

Since I'm rather young and don't have Crohn's myself, there's only one piece of advice I feel respectful giving, but I hope it helps nevertheless.

To you and everyone else here with kids, try not to feel inadequate if/when your children do not understand or get mad at you because of your symptoms. I moved in with my boyfriend when I was 18, and his mom has Crohn's. I came from a bad house before that, and I didn't understand my own emotions, therefore, couldn't understand the feelings of others very well. Everyone matures at a different time in their life, and having good moms like you ladies helps a LOT. Just by saying you feel bad for worrying them shows you care.

But when they become more emotionally mature, they'll understand your problems better. I wish I could go back to my 18 year old self and say "Hey, cool it!" I didn't understand. And I didn't understand my boyfriend's mom's condition until I was ready to put my own problems aside to help her. She helped me grow up, from teenager to woman. She's an incredible parent, like all of you.

Your children will come to understand someday when they're more grounded themselves. Until then, try to be patient. My lover's mom was and is, and now I'm here at a support group a few years later; I'm making an effort to make it up to her by understanding Crohn's so that I can take care of her, and one day, her grandchildren who may be at risk.

My bf's mom tells me sometimes it's hard to believe in herself. But know that no ailment can stop you from being YOU, or loving your family. You are no less a person than you were before you were diagnosed, and you deserve no less <3

I feel the your pain ..I understand how you feel. Only recently DX WITH Crohns . Tired all the time. Just went to my first support meeting & it really helpedtalking to people that understand . This Forum has been great for me. A lot to take in . I wish you all the best, & hope you are feeling better soon .xxx

UPDATE---
Well,
Here we go again. 8 month checkup yesterday. Ugh, not what i expected- i am being put on a complete and total drug holiday till my insurance kicks in from my new job then, back to more and more testing. Colonoscopy first- little concerned, doc thinks thickening is getting worse and causing stricture/obstruction. :stinks:putting off surgery for last 8 months was ok idea i guess. Just hoe that it doesn't result in the resection surgery next month. Finally just got new job and not sure i can afford the time off :(. Maybe, if it comes to truition, i will be back on my feet within a week to get back to work. This too shall pass. I'm going to stay strong and face forward, if it needs to be done, then it needs to be done! Prayers appreciated. Loves to all, hoping everyone is fairing well in new year and finding remission.:ysmile: Muah-hugs-:heart:
Oh I'm officially part of the i ache severely club, he said i have severe arthralgias now, can't use my right hand much at all, right ankle is shot, neck doesn't turn either way or massive vertigo sets in with major vomiting and loss of eyesight. Woohoo, I'm on a role! Doc wants to add low dose naltraxone post op? Concerned bout this- does it work?
Thanks for listening. Luvz

Last edited: