• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Adhesions and Crohn's- Really?

So, my story is not as exciting as others but I will attempt to make it somewhat exciting:ylol:
History
I have always had some trouble with stomach pain since childhood which I honestly just got used to. However,in the last 10 years things have become more serious, and complicated. I have had constant diarrhea for about 10 years but again just got used to it. In the fall of 2005 I delivered my son via emergency C-section and an impressive number of freaked out doctors! About 16 months later I developed a chronic problem of severe stomach pain which lead to vomiting. After a lot of testing it was determined that I had a herniated C-Section incision which I had repaired with mesh in 2009. But I really never recovered from that surgery.
During this time the rounds of pain and vomiting increased and were often followed by severe diarrhea for weeks. Then I started to vomit poop- which is a horrible experience by the by. I had pain all the time and just miserable a lot of the time.
In 2011 it was determined that I was allergic to the mesh and I had it removed. During that surgery, it was discovered that I had abdominal adhesions that had formed around the ileum. The thought was that the adhesions were causing partial bowel obstructions Those adhesions were removed over the course of two surgeries. And things seemed better for about 4 months. Then it all came back again.
Current
I have been having pain, vomiting (sometimes poop) and near constant diarrhea and difficulty eating solid food. I do better if I drink Ensure for two meals a day and then have one safe solid food meal. But even then I end up with trouble.
My surgeon is amazing and has grown suspicious that something else is going on- Crohn's. And I think this is a fair suspicion. It could be that the adhesions are affected by the Crohn's. I have a strong family hx of Crohn's and other weird lifelong symptoms that no one ever put together.
So I am working with a GI guy who just keeps rubbing his face and muttering about how dangerous my symptoms are (he is afraid I am going to rupture my bowel with obstructions) and how doing any testing is really difficult. He has decided that I can not have a colonoscopy due to adhesions. So I had a CT- which was horrible because I kept vomiting the barium. I am now prepping for a Capsule Endoscopy. Which requires a 72 Hour clear liquid diet in my case because of my history. So I am pretty cranky right now:ylol:

All of this weighs heavily on me as I am married and I am raising a Very busy 7 year old, and holding down a very demanding job which Thank God I can do from home most days.

One question I have is has anyone ever seen this combination of adhesions and Crohn's? Also, Has anyone ever not been able to have a Colonoscopy due to bowel hx?

Last edited:

Kev

My basic understanding is that adhesions is doctor speak for scar tissue. If I am correct, I have scar tissue.. literally up the wazoo... and it is extremely painful. I have pleaded with 3 surgeons to remove it.. all of it. No one will. Far too extensive, and they consider it a wasted effort, as scar tissue will return. That is all I know.. and my comparing scar tissue to adhesions is based on an assumption, OK? Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I myself have not had any issues with having scopes done or adhesion but I did want to send you lots of luck with the current test and I will be keeping fingers crossed that this can get you some answers as to what is going on. Please keep us updated on how you get on.

AB
xx

Yes I have Crohns and adhesions in my Terminal Ileium,the Adhesions is scar tissue from Crohns resections I have had previously has its always in the same place,I also have a mesh in,from having an incisional hernia,which I suppose with my 4th crohns operation coming up in the next few weeks,they will remove that (I am dreading this op as my last 3 the after pain coming out of surgery was just dreadful,and I stll cannot get that out of my mind,(I have Let the surgeon know about this )but a lot of the time Crohns and Scar Tissue/adhesions go hand in hand.It certainly does in my case.