• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Adhesions versus crohns?

Hello, for quite a while now I've suffered from stomach problems. In the last two years it has gotten much worse. I've had bm's so painful I started sweating in winter when the house is chilly, blood in my stools that increasingly gets worse (but only once with long intervals), stomach pain, vomitting, and anal mucous leakage.

I went to the general surgeon (b/c pd sent me to him) where I live who did blood tests and "promised" to call if there were abnormal results. Long story short, I requested my blood work and my doc never called to inform me that both my ESR and CRP were high, and a blood test called SACCHAROMYCES CEREVISIAE IGG was weak positive.

In the following month I was having iron infusions due to heavy cycles but the infusions were ineffective for whatever reason. I had uterine hyperplasia but pre-cancerous cells. So @ 32 I had a hysterectomy b/c with all my health problems I thought this would help eliminate what symptoms were due to female issues and which were due to stomach issues.

I waited a year before seeing the general surgeon again so I could fully heal. I also had another bm with a lot of blood in it and my stomach felt very swollen inside. He decided he wanted to do a colonscopy. I literally told him it was not a good idea cause my stomach was so irritated. But I did it anyways because he down played my statement and so I doubted myself.

Two hours later I was in the ER dx'ed with a high grade sb partial obstruction. I was there for a week. A month later, same thing. Since then the SACCHAROMYCES CEREVISIAE was re- tested and came back very high. He referred me to the GI after saying it was most probably Crohns. However, the GI insisted these problems were due to adhesions from my hysterectomy. My hysterectomy was laproscopic, vaginally assisted and the only surgery I ever had.

There was narrowing seen on the tests done in the hospital but after I was released and had healing time, there was no narrowing to be seen.

I had these symptoms before my hysterectomy, so....I'm confused and absolutely have no faith in doctors anymore. So i don't go. So as of now, when I become inflammed inside and start getting certain signs, I put myself on a liquid diet. I almost died the first time and I don't want it to happen again.

I thought this would be the best place to gather thoughts on my story. Can anybody tell me what they think?
Thank you soooo much for any feedback. I think I could learn a lot here.

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to the community. If your current GI isn't taking your complaints seriously, PLEASE get another one. And demand they do a fecal calprotectin test. Adhesions don't cause inflammation and that test is an excellent test to see if there is.

Please keep us updated as to how you're doing.

Thank you so much for your suggestion on the fecal test that looks for inflammation. That is a great idea. And I do think I will try to see a new GI doc. I found one 100 miles away that had training @ the Mayo. Thanks for the help.