• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Adrenal Fatigue

So, one of our new members has brought the issue of adrenal fatigue to my attention and it really makes sense to me.

I feel so exhausted and unwell all the time (I'd say I'm down to functioning at about 30% of a normal person if I'm lucky), but I actually am not having any Crohn's symptoms and my CRP remains low.

I've been badly fatigued for years and it has steadily become worse with tapering the prednisone.

I am wondering if anyone else has experience with this and getting it treated/tested. I am going to see my GP tomorrow to ask but not feeling optimistic that she will help. I think it is a poorly recognised problem, but if that is what I have I need to do something about it as it is killing me!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Shaz make this a priority for her to get you some answers. A combination of drugs, depression, the disease itself, can cause fatigue, get your b12, and iron checked out too. Many people are low in b12 and dont realize it. The shot works the best!! Let us know how your visit to the Gi goes ok? Hugs!

Shaz are you still on the pred?? I can't remember - seems like you were supposed to come off months ago? If you have been off for a while - does it seem to worse than before you were ever on the pred? I hate that for you - I can't imagine having fatigue all...the....time. I get frustarted enough from having it a week or two before my Remi. Sorry buddy!!

Thanks guys. I am on 2.5 pred, have had to go really slow as the withdrawal effects have been so bad. My iron levels are fine, just had them done. CRP is not as low as it should be but is only 8 instead of 4 so apparantly that isn;t a concern. My white cells are up and have been for months. I'll ask about that but they haven't been concerned previously.

I am having the fatigue ALL the time and it has gradually gotten worse despite my symptoms of Crohn's being the best they have been!

I am antidepressants Pen, they really helped when the pred-reduction blues set in! I don't feel depressed now, just completely worn out!

Basically all I am managing is to go to work for 5 hours 3 x a week (barely make it) and come home to bed. Last time I felt this ill was when I got Glandular Fever/Mono years ago - never really recovered from that!

It sucks!!!! :(

O! Shaz, i didnt realise you had had Galandular fever as well. That is a big red flag for adrenal fatigue!

I don't think it is specifically related to Crohn's but would indicate some issue with the immune system. I've basically had CHronic Fatige for about 12 years and was diagnosed with Crohn's 7 months ago. The fatigue is way worse right now despite crohn's being in remission and I expect it is an adrenal thing :(

Ok
Cos I struggle with fatigue alot myself
I had too live on red bull jus too get outa bed somedays there
I'm gettin better but still hav my bad days

nothin worse than bein tired all the time I hope you find out why you are.

Yup, I do believe there is nothiong worse. Actually, while i don't want to jinx myself, I'd rather go back to the stomach cramps and long trips to the bathroom if I could just have a more normal amount of energy!

OH Shaz I feel so bad for u I don't know what the fever is will have to look it up. But I do know what being tired is all about. Before the pred. I think I was sleeping my life away. Please see if you can get answer. I know some doctors will just blame it on medicine and stress but it really can be something else. you have been suffering for so long I would demand she check it out further. Good luck and hang in there ok.

Thanks :) Yup, I am at the end of my rope really. Only thing that keeps me going at all is my Dad and my cat. I have some avenues suggested if my GP isn't helpful. She is a nice lady and pretty open to suggestions but may not be able to help much with this!

whats your bp hang around at shaz? Do you feel dizzy every time you get up and feel like you are blacking out as you walk? I felt that way for long time prior to getting sick. When I had regular checkups my bp was always under 100/xx and they would say it was a sign of my active lifestyle and a healthy athletic heart. Yea right! As I got sicker my bp dropped some more and I started passing out. Almost every time I walked I would fade to black after a 10 feet or so. I had these certain places around the house I would go to when I stood up so I could rest against the wall until my vision came back. It really sucked, especially those times I could hear myself fall and then realize I was on the ground.

Anyway that is all gone now and my bp sits around 110/xx now. sorry i never remember the other number but I always correlated feeling weak and having a bad day with the low bp. I was in Hospital for weeks at time on three different occasions during this and I could call out a number to the nurse as she came to take my bp every morning. I say 94 and she would smile and say something like only out by 3 points today. But I always knew when I was below 100 because I felt like I had a sack over my head. Wenever it went into the 80's they got all serious faced.

Just hope you get this squared away. All this cleared up for me after having surgery and getting my Crohn's into remission.

Last edited:

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Aw, Shaz. I'm sorry you're so down. Fatigue sucks. I had it big time when tapering off pred and going on 6mp. Now, I'm not as bad but still don't always feel up for going out or doing new things like I used to.

Besides what others suggest (iron, B-12, blood pressure), I'd try some exercise (getting the blood flowing could help boost your energy) and cutting out any sugars in your diet if you're a sugar-a-holic.

Talk to your doctor. It could be meds, could be adrenal glands, could be chronic fatigue syndrome, could be anything.

I would like to know more about what causes fatigue also.

I get by OK, but it does seem like I do not have as much energy as I should have. Not just me, but some other relatives seem to have this to a degree.

I do not think it is lack of a nutrient, at least none that I am aware of.

It is hard to really diagnose in yourself, as I am not sure what normal is for my age. I am not a teenager anymore, and work shift work which is draining in itself.

Any experts out there?

Dan

Hey Shaz - also maybe have your thyroid checked if you haven't lately? Sorry you are having such trouble with this - hope they can figure it out!!!

nogutsnoglory

I read so many books on adrenal fatigue, had my thyroid tested and all my bloods. My iron was on the low end but OK according to the doctor. Still I started taking high dose B12 and Iron and feel so much better now. Maybe I was in the iron safe to operate mode but clearly my body needed more than just the bare minimum because I couldn't get off my couch.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Chin up Sharon....I hope you get some answers. Especially if you are losing weight......Tired of being tired...so frustrating!

Thanks guys. Off to the doc shortly. Not looking forward to it as had practically no sleep last night - too exhausted to sleep! :(

I'll let you know what happens. Oh to feel better!

Ps, Oh to be able to exercise! I was getting in some walking a few times a week up til Christmas but have felt too ill for that since then. Can barely get outta bed let alone exercise!!!