• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice! After blood transfusion

Hi all,

This is my first post. My Husband had pancolitis in November and is on Prednisone and sulfasalazine, yesterday he had a blood transfusion. But he doesn't look well today. It is 9.30am in Australia, he is very lethargic etc What are signs of an adverse reaction to a transfusion! I'm a bit annoyed that he wasn't give parenteral iron instead!

SarahBear

I'm sorry you haven't gotten any responses so far, SJ.

Is your husband hospitalized at the moment? Why did he have the blood transfusion?

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Hello,

Have you made a call to your doctor or an emergency room yet to see if someone can assist/offer advice?

How much blood did he receive from the transfusion? Has he had any reactions before to a transfusion or is this his first one?

What are all of his symptoms right now?

Thanks for your reply,

My Husband looks better today! I think he was still a bit anemic the other day and maybe I was a panicking! He had the transfusion because his Hb was low, but I think he is reacting to the sulfasalazine, as he doesn't think he is bleeding excessively.

He was breathless on wednesday so his Dr did a blood test. The Dr phoned him at home on Friday and sent him to the Er because the results were low, they gave him 2 bags of blood and sent him home!

How dangerous is a reaction to sulfasalazine because I think that could be what is causing all the symptoms? The problem here is that all the Dr's are on holidays at the moment!

Last edited: