• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice for being put on Imuran first time!

So I went for a regular blood test today and asked my IBD nurse to come have a chat with me as my follow up isn't until December 23rd the MRI scan showed inflammation and the pain has started...
I then ended up having the whole pre-screening of bloods and told I am being put on Imuran by my follow up or that date latest...
Any advice from anyone?! What I might entail ?! Don't have a clue what to expect

Lady Organic

Staff member
Im on 6-mp, cousin of Imuran. You can expect an introduction phase side effects such as fatigue and mild nausea in the first weeks. This would be normal with this medication and shall resume pretty quickly. Report any fever or other side effects to your IBD nurse if they ever occur. You can also expect a remission with this medication! Hope it will work out for you! Good luck!

Im on 6-mp, cousin of Imuran. You can expect an introduction phase side effects such as fatigue and mild nausea in the first weeks. This would be normal with this medication and shall resume pretty quickly. Report any fever or other side effects to your IBD nurse if they ever occur. You can also expect a remission with this medication! Hope it will work out for you! Good luck!
I work in a children's nursery so I'm dreading any nausea and things because children are icky sticky and smelly at times 😂
Also my IBD nurse said I would be susceptible to bad infections and also not to be out in direct sunlight with no sun cream on is that normal?! Xx

Lady Organic

Staff member
my GI told me not to panic with this. Of course we should avoid prolonged sun exposition or put sunscreen on when going outside for a long time. ask your GI next time for his recommendation.

I was told my inflammation markers from my blood test are normal but my MRI scan showed inflammation of the caecum is this normal?!?! I rang today but I have to ring Monday for the more indepth infections ones but I'm so confused!!

I was told my inflammation markers from my blood test are normal but my MRI scan showed inflammation of the caecum is this normal?!?! I rang today but I have to ring Monday for the more indepth infections ones but I'm so confused!!
I would think so.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Blood markers are not always a good indicators of disease activity. Some people are very sensitive with these, others not. Blood markers are useless in my case, they always come out good and normal unless I am extremely sick. When I am at a mild or moderate disease stages, my blood reports come out normal. many of us are like that. The MRI doesnt lie. You do have disease activity. Hopefully the Imuran will take care of it.