• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice needed!

Hey everyone!

I'm currently in the "waiting for official diagnosis" group although in September of last year I was given a diagnosis of "indeterminate colitis" due to the results on a colonoscopy. I just has another colonoscopy on 1/9/15 at which time my GI told me the patch of inflammation in my colon was no longer there and everything looked "normal" - he did take quite a few "random" biopsies, so I'm currently waiting to hear back regarding the results. I was not given an upper endoscopy this previous visit. I'm scheduled for some CT scans tomorrow to look at the small bowels.

My first question is: if my colon looked fine (since the "patch" of inflammation was gone), how can I be having more severe symptoms now than the initial presentation? My symptoms are: severe diarrhea (up to 5-10 times per day and to the point where I seem to be passing only bile), food passing without being fully digested, lower left and right abdominal pain, vomiting (I will feel a rippling pain in my abdomen following by, basically, projectile vomiting - I literally have a split second to find something to vomit in or it'll go all over the place), as well as severe joint pain (mostly on the left side of my body - knee is the worst as well as left hand/fingers) and fatigue (I sleep and go to work (somehow) and have absolutely no energy for anything else).

After my colonoscopy, my doctor said to increase my Bentyl to 60 MG/day (I was on 30) to help with the cramping/vomiting. I'm also on Entocort (9mg/day). I thought the increase in medication would help but my symptoms have not subsided in the slightest. I'm hoping it's because I've only been on the increased dose for 3 days and not because it isn't working. How long should I wait before calling the doctor's office and asking if I should increase my Bentyl and/or be put on something different?

I couldn't get a follow-up appointment with my GI any sooner than March 3rd, although the nurse did state if anything showed up on my biopsies, they would squeeze me in for an appointment asap.

I'm quite possibly the most impatient person in the world, so this whole "waiting game" is extremely distressing.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Waiting is AWFUL.

The issue could be higher up in your GI tract.
I hope you get some answers from the scan.
Sending you my support.

Just had a CT Scan with contrast today. Hopefully that'll give some answers.

One more question: after I got home I had a severe bout of diarrhea again and this time it was literally black. I'm not on any vitamins and I haven't taken any pepto. Could this be something related to IBD? I'm trying hard to not call my doctor over every new symptom (I'm trying to avoid becoming one of 'those' patients). Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Black could mean blood or maybe not. Did it have a smell to it? Was it somewhat thick or tar like.
Did you get a sample or even a picture?
You should report this to the GI. When do you think the biopsies will be back?

It smelled awful and appeared thick. I just had another bout of it but this time it appeared a dark red/ALMOST black color and was more broken apart. It also had a stringy appearance. I called the dr's office a few hours ago and left a message but no one called me back. I'm also having somewhat of a sharp crampy pain in my upper left abdomen (middle of my ribcage almost right under my last rib).

Im also having severe joint pain in my left knee and left wrist/fingers.

The biopsies where taken last Friday so I'm not sure how long it'll take to get the results.

DJW

Forum Monitor
I wouldn't let this go. Personally I'd be going to the ER to play it safe.

Sending you my support.

Can you ask for the GI on-call?

I would go in. I don't have this disease but my daughter does and would have her in the er now.