• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice on SCD

I know many of you are either for or against the SCD diet for various reasons. And I want to thank you all in advance for reading/or answering this. I may have some ignorant questions about this SC type of eating, so I apologize :) I am currently in remission, however I do notice a change when I eat certain foods. Especially gluten and sugar. Since Im not in an active flare, can I just eliminate the "illegal" foods or do I need to start from the beginning? I have no problems with cheese, egge, meat, fruits and vegetables. In fact, they make me feel better. Im getting allergy tested by an acupuncturist in 2 weeks, so Im pretty excited about that! I tried paleo for a few weeks, but the high meat/fat kinda made the tummy grumbly. I guess Im somewhere between the 2. And how bad is rice on the SCD? Ive read that some people eat it, others don't. I work with Crohns patients and they have great reviews on limiting carbs. Sorry if this is all over the map! I don't really have the time to read the literature on this, as Im working full time and studying for my Bachelors. On that note, any quick meal ideas? Snack ideas? That are SCD friendly? Besides the obvious fruits/veg/meat :) Thanks!

The intro diet is really important in healing. I started with the SCD, but I would actually recommend that you look into the GAPS diet, which is based on the SCD, but adds a little bit more based on the latest science and information. Even for people that aren't actively having diarrhea, the intro is recommended. You would only have to do it for 2 or 3 days, so it's worth it in order to get the best results. The other reason to do the intro is that it acts as an elimination diet. There is a possibility that you *think* you are okay with certain foods, but once you take them out of the diet for awhile and add them back in, you may discover that you have a sensitivity that you didn't realize was there.

Rice is not recommended on SCD/GAPS. It is a grain and difficult for the body to digest. After a year or two on the diet, I've heard of some people reintroducing it, but it's not something that I'll personally try.

Quick meal ideas/snacks...there is a lot of cooking involved with SCD/GAPS. But I have discovered certain snacks that are easy to throw together. I do eat a lot of fruit and veggies as snacks. One of my favorites is freezing bananas and then making "ice cream" by adding a little bit of coconut milk and blending. I always keep hard boiled eggs on hand, sardines in olive oil, apples with cashew or almond butter. Ground meat is always easy to cook quickly. I do a lot of crockpot meals too. I hope that helps a bit. BTW, I'm a nurse too. Good luck on the BSN.

Thank you so much for the great reply :) And thanks for the words of encouragement! I like how you combined the different diet types. Even though they're essentially the same concept, it's great you can pinpoint every trigger. You really know how to listen to your body! I'm still learning. I think it's a little more difficult when you're in remission. I feel good 98% of the time, with the exception of occasional cramping and gas. I do notice I am less fatigued when I am more strict with the diets. I guess my goal is to prolong remission as well as feeel better in general. Funny thing, I get extremely emotional when I eat gluten! Almost like severe depression!. I slipped the other day at work (nursing management brought bagels) and I was so down after I ate one. Our bodies are so odd. Thank you again, and I took you words and advice to heart. :rosette2: