• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice please, not had this before?!

I'll be as brief as possible. Anybody who has seen my pill cam post knows that I've now been asked to do a retest due to the unclear images on the first. I've been asked to fast all day today (test tomorrow) and to do a full prep instead of half.

Unlike last week I threw up after the first two litres, couldn't keep it in any longer. I've just thrown up again after finishing the last 2 litres as I physically couldn't keep it all in again. This time however after throwing up some prep I brought up about half a pint of blood, bright red.

Please could anybody give me some insight as I've never had to do a full prep before and am thinking this isn't normal?!? Thank you in advance.

No crag that isn't normal. I would phone your out of hours GP service asap and see what they say. To me it sounds like way too much blood to be from a stomach ulcer which can cause vomited blood.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I echo Starr - you should call asap - if you threw up that much in one go, there could be quite a bit more - possily you tore or popped something with your vomiting....

Thanks guys, I had a good feeling it's not normal but I'm not feeling anywhere close to my worst so didn't know how severe it is! I'm just waiting on a call back from a nurse so will keep you posted as to what they say. Thank you again and so speedy too!

allieinwonder

I have thrown up blood from a full prep before. I was hospitalized at the time, and they didn't do anything about it...said it "was only a little blood". :( They had done an upper endoscopy that morning and had cut too deep getting the biopsies. I ended up prepping with water, and doing an enema, but the next morning the doctor decided he wasn't going to do it since I couldn't get the solution down (I know my bowels were clean, I hadn't eaten for two days, but he didn't care). I ended up insisting I leave, when they were going to have me fast another day. Very bad experience.

I would call your doctor. I'm so sorry you are going through this! That was one of the worst nights of my life. :(

Thanks again for the advice and everything. Sorry you had to go through that Allie, doesn't sound like a nice experience at all. Sorry if I caused any worry too, the nurse has just phoned back and said that if it continues to get to A&E. I thought shed say something along those lines but it's nice to get a bit of confirmation I guess!

The strange thing is I feel rather good for me, haven't eaten since yesterday which could be why?! I didn't want to go dashing off to hospital as I need to get to Kettering in the morning for my procedure and the sickness has stopped now too.

Thanks again for everything and I'll make sure I get myself down there if it continues to happen, hope you all have a good evening.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
This sounds just awful, Crag. I haven't had this experience myself so I don't have any advice, but everyone else is right - it's definitely not normal to vomit blood during prep! I'm glad you called the nurse and I hope you're able to get through the pill cam without it happening again! Hang in there, and good luck.