• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice please!!! To medicate or not...

I am new to this forum and I really need advice. I have an atypical case of Crohn's, 3 anal fistulas.. no other symptoms. I also have Psoriatic arthritis (swollen joints and psoriasis). I have 2 setons and went in last week to have a third put in, but the fistula is too close to the muscle (which my surgeon only discovered after I was under anesthesia). He is really pushing for me to go on Remicade or Humira.. I have done my research and I am aware of how many people are helped by these medications. On the other hand, I have read too many horror stories of side effects and also the medication not working or stopped working after a period of time. I myself, am really not ready to commit to a medication like that at this time. I would like to explore all of my options first. For my arthritis, I do yoga on a regular basis and Ibuprofen if it's bad. For my psoriasis, I have a cream prescribed by my family practitioner. The fistulas don't really bother me, the one without the seton occasionally gives me pain.. nothing i can't handle. My question is this, what other options do I have?... besides remicade/humira. The arthritis and psoriasis and under control at this point.. I am asking more about the fistulas. What can I do if anything to avoid taking those medications? can I just let them be and do nothing??? I'd appreciate any advice. Been really going back and forth, so torn about it.

Welcome Yoshigrl24,
I'm a big fan of remicade because it has turned my son's life around that being said since you seem to be so very against it. Have you looked into low dose naltrexone?
My son had very little symptoms but the inflammation was simmering away causing damage to his intestine.
He was on low dose naltrexone or ldn for a while and reached remission on it. Due to a whole domino of effects from a skin infection and his age we had to move to remicade and he is seeing growth and weight gain from it so I'm content to leave him on it for now. We may go back to LDN when he is done growing.
Good luck whatever you decide.

my little penguin

Staff member
Is your arthritis doing damage ?
Un treated or under treated Ibd can do a lot of damage without a lot of symptoms .
Most horror stories can be found on the Internet for almost any drug since generally if the person is doing great no need to hang out on the Internet life gets too busy.

Remicade was good but cause skin issues for DS . He eventually stopped due to an allergic reaction
Humira was better for his skin .

Things need treated period before you get more damage .
Discuss pros and cons of each type of drug option with your doc .

Our GI said any anal involvement in crohn's is actually the most difficult to treat. And the surgeries sometimes needed to keep infection at bay can be disfiguring. I would have a serious heart to heart with my GI. Your surgeon and GI have seen and had to treat these cases. I would want to know what the worst case scenario would be before I made my decision. Also, it is easier to achieve remission when things are relatively mild.

I think the basic thought is that untreated arthritis and crohn's cause damage. The benefits outweigh the risks for most people.