• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice Please

Is it any particular cause for concern to have swelling in the low right abdomen? I don't have a diagnosis yet so don't know exactly what's going on inside, but at least 75% of the time in the last few days, when I feel around in that area, I have a lump that sometimes extends as far as from kind of the topic of my pubic area in an arc toward the top of my right pelvis. I have sharp pains there many times throughout the day.

When I mentioned it to my GI doc earlier this week, he said it was probably swelling in my ileum. The radiologist was unable to get a clear look at that area a few weeks ago during my small bowel follow thru. I have a pill cam scheduled but not until next Friday.

I don't have a ton of faith in my GI doctor for a few reasons, so wanted to ask all of you- is this a normal experience for someone with some form of IBD, or something that requires more expedient medical attention than 9 days from now? I'm still passing stool (8 to 12ish times daily) and not noticeably passing any blood (nor have I ever). I don't know if this swelling is new or if I've just never noticed it before.

Its very common to have a swelling in that area of the abdomen with active disease. If they decide you don't have IBD you need to look further into it though.

Ok, I'll try and make this make sense . . . . .
I had a similar experience about a year ago. My GP dismissed it as a GI problem and to see the consultant. The consultant was pretty sure it wasn't GI, but did an ultrasound anyway, which showed a cyst on my ovary (everyone has a cyst on their ovary so this wasn't concerning). Eventually, I got referred though to a general surgeon because the lump was there (like you, sometimes, about 60% of the time) and painful but didn't appear to be connected to anything GI/gynae wise. I'd actually torn my muscle sheaths playing sports, a little keyhole op to repair them and now happy.
I'm not saying it's not related, but in that area, theres a lot of bits of different systems that it could be, so if they don't find anything on your camera test, get referrals to gynae/general surgery as it could be something from a different speciality :)