• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice re after effects of colon removal

Hi I was diagnosed with Crohns 18 years ago and recently had my colon removed and a stoma (for the 2nd time) I find I don't get more than 2/3 hours sleep without having to empty my bag. Does anyone have any tips to give me which will allow me to get 4/5 hrs sleep please? I am trying not eating in evening sometimes not eating after lunch but nothing appears to make any difference.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. How long ago was the surgery?

If output is like water you can switch to a bedside had at night. You could also talk to the doctor about a prescription for something to slow out put.

Avoid sugary drinks. They can increase out put. Don't drink fluids with meals. Don't exceed 2 letres of fluid per day. I find cheddar cheese slows things up.

Keep us posted when you find something that works.

Thank you Dave, surgery was 8 weeks ago. I have been drinking sugary drinks lately as I often had no appetite but wanted something sweet. I don't know what the bedside thing is you mentioned and I love cheese so that's good. Does having no colon reduce appetite ? I also get full easily.

DJW

Forum Monitor
It shouldn't effect appetite. The colon remove liquid. Talk to your stoma nurse to see if a bedside bag is an option. It's a similar setup to the catheter bag you had in hospital.

Things will continue to settle down over time. 8 weeks is still recent.

Somewhere around 4 months I was finally sleeping for 6 hours at a time, but before that it was 2 hours, then 3 hours, and gradually getting better. For me, potatoes (mashed, French fries, crisps) thicken up the output and slow it down considerably. Apple sauce works really good for me as well. I had very little appetite for the first month and then became ravenous! Having your colon removed is very hard on your body and it will take several months before everything gets settled. Hang in there!!!

Thanks guys you are helping me to relearn how to deal with stoma as previous one -7 years ago was temp so I put everything on standstill until I got it reversed so did not accept it as part of my life. However I can't do that now and I'm still trying to get my head around stoma for life. I've been on most meds to no avail and knew it was inevitable, however didn't realise op would be such an ordeal this time. I was 9 hrs in surgery ending up with blood transfusion and in HDU.
I am glad I have found this site, I never looked before as I was in denial, but am grateful for your support and hope I can do the same for others x