• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Advice

Hi my name is Claire. I was diagnosed with CD in Nov 2009 after extensive exploratory tests! No amount of the usual drugs worked Prednisolone, Azath,Asacol,Pentasa. Thankfully my Consultant realised i was in a bad way and rushed me into hospital for a bowel resection in April 2011 I had 12inches of the small and large bowel removed. But this operation has left me with severe diarrhea- the Consultant said this is mechanical as my body can no longer absorb the fluid or nutrients which is why i have chronic diarrhea! I work full time within a high school as a senior Cover Supervisor which basically means i take the lesson when the regular teacher is absent, i am also responsible for 3 other members of my team plus a lot of extra admin which was given to me. As you can imagine my job can be very stressful! (100 minute lessons-3 lesson day)
I have struggled ever since to try and manage this not only at work but every day life, i can honestly say i have at least one accident a day!!
I was also diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis in 2012 which affects my knees,wrists and elbows they become swollen and stiff. I am currently on 20mg of Humira and now starting 7mg of Methotrexate which i inject myself.
As you can imagine i have had a lot of time off due to these diseases and i must say my employer has been very supportive. However now the Occ Health has said because of the diarrhea he reccomends i shouldnt go in the classroom but of course the school are saying well if you cant do that aspect of the job then basically there isnt a job for you (in so many words) i am a single mother with a 19 yr old son who helps me alot. I rent my property
so to lose my job seems like the end of the world. I want to work but not so many hours a day and no classroom! I am looking at DLA but its so hard to get it. Help! any advice?

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear that you still have problems with diarrhoea :( I take is testing has been done to confirm that your crohn's is actually settled? I have heard of others having this problem and that psyllium husks can help - have you ever tried these? Do the docs ever check your vitamin levels? Do certain foods make it worse at all? I'm afraid I don't know anything regarding DLA so I cannot advise on this though.

AB
xx

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi thankfulchicken (I like your username!) and welcome to the forum. Angrybird has given you some good information and I can't add much to it. I just wanted to say that it must be just horrible to have so many accidents - I've only had one accident so far in the course of my illness and it was just absolutely humiliating, so I really feel for you and can't imagine how awful it must be. I hope you're able to find a way to slow things down a bit so that you can work and live without that happening so much. For what it's worth, AB mentioned psyllium, and that has done wonders for me. There's a long thread about it here if you'd like to look it over:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=13856

Hi AB
Thanks for your reply and welcoming me to the forum. Yes i have tried most things....questron made me sick, loperamide does block me for a little while but then all hell breaks loose plus gives me tummy cramps, even codeine what a joke!
I have fortnightly bloods and vits i take various supplements. As for food i stick to a low residue diet as i am unable to absorb fats or any nutrients so also have fortisip drinks from the DRs that have everything my body needs.
Congratulations on your pregnancy
Claire x

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Hi thankfulchicken,
Boy our storys are almost the same. I started missing work at about age 57-58 and they told me the samething. I remember how stressed out I was and that sure didn't help me. I lost my job in 08 and had to retire at age 58. I also didn't know what I was going to do. As I looked at all the things that could go wrong it stressed me to the max. But I can tell you this. PLEASE don't stress out. Not one thing that I was stressing about came true. If I were you I would apply for SSI-D, I did and got it.
I regards to your "D" have you every tried Cholestyramine? It is for just what you said. When you have had a resection it helps take away the salts and can control you "D"
I sure hope this helps.
Jim