• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

AdvoCare

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Co-Founder
I just looked it up. I'm always weary of any "energy drinks" even if they do cram a load of vitamins and minerals into it as well. It's probably like our coffee thread though. Some people would do fine with it, others should stay far away.

* Edit -Please be sure to read this entire thread for important information

David

Co-Founder
What would be your purpose in taking it? If it's for the vitamins and minerals, I think there are better ideas. If it's for an alternative to coffee or red bull, that I can understand a bit more. :)

David

Co-Founder
When you're taking an objective look at the products that Advocare offers, you must first look at the reputation of the company
Ok.

A Dallas County jury recently awarded $1.9 million in damages against Carrollton, Texas-based AdvoCare International LP after finding it engaged in deceptive trade practices and unfairly canceled agreements with two of its distributors.

AdvoCare, which is a multilevel marketer of nutritional supplements and skin-care products, unfairly canceled agreements with distributors Bruce and Teresa Badgett of Arlington, the district court jury found.

According to the Badgetts’ lawsuit, the two were active and profitable marketers of AdvoCare products for more than a dozen years before their distributorship was canceled by the company in 2006 “based upon vague and trumped-up charges.”
Source

Advocare appears to be all about Multi Level Marketing. If their products were THAT GOOD I would think they would sell themselves. God knows if they worked well, I'd be adding them to the list of products for liquid / enteral nutrition / elemental diet.

Instead, they engage in MLM and according to a jury, deceptive trade practices. Certainly not a company I'd recommend someone with inflammatory bowel disease take supplements from. I just plain can't trust such companies and the only way I would ever recommend a product from such a company is if there were quality, independent, controlled scientific studies that found statistically significant improvement that was peer reviewed. And lo and behold, if that happened, the product would sell itself.

I'm really not here to debate. I was offering advice. Find a company that hasn't had an issue where the law disagrees with the actions of a company's decision to terminate based on the moral obligations and integrity of the company-you won't find one. Even Mary Kay has had things of that nature happen but I highly doubt you'd judge their face wash or hand cream because of it. You truly have no idea what you're talking about. You just wasted your time trying to google something bad about Advocare, for what reason? It proves nothing about Spark. My very first post was made WITHOUT promoting my own business just because I wanted to give an informative, helpful response to a person's question regarding a product I know a lot about. If we were just some "MLM" gig and didn't care about helping someone else, I certainly wouldn't have taken time out of my life to make this account, write a post with my own opinions. Instead, the reply (if there was one at all) would've looked more like something spammy and you wouldn't have ever had to question whether or not I was affiliated with Advocare. Go google "Texas Tech University Spark Study" Read the scientific proven evidence from a well known, well respected school and base your judgement where the basis of this question originated. Please go ahead and look up Dr. Stanley Dudrick as well. He formulates our products. For that matter, look up the credentials of all 12 of our Scientific and Medical Advisory Board of Doctors and you tell me if Doctors with over 200 years of combined experience, one of which INVENTED intravenous feeding through the tube that has saved millions of lives, do you truly think that they would be a part of a company that was anything less than that of their own morals and values? I highly doubt it.

In any case, my intentions were genuine and sincere in my original post. I think there are just some people out there that are more anxious to find reasons to bring about doubt and negativity in their life and everyone else's around them. Those that read the posts I've made will decide for themselves and I certainly would still be happy to help any of them, including you, if ever I was asked to. Good luck with your research. You truly missed the mark on Advocare as a whole.

David

Co-Founder
When I googled for Advocare I found substantially more negative information and anecdotes, I simply cherry picked that one.

You're providing a study conducted in 1999 for people with ADHD as a means of establishing Advocare as beneficial. That in no way correlates as it being beneficial for people with Crohn's Disease. Considering the nature of Crohn's Disease and IBD as well as the deceptive nature of many multi level marketing schemes out there, there is no way I'd ever recommend a product from such a company unless there was proper scientific research that conclusively shows it as being beneficial. Get that and I'll have people lining up to buy this stuff. In addition, Texas Tech doesn't have any information about the study on their site and I can't find anything in Google Scholar or any other peer reviewed journal sources. Any reason for that?

And don't play the, "This was out of the goodness of my heart" crap. You were looking for eventual sales as your second post provided the link to your site that I knew was coming. Considering your username, there was never any question about your intention or affiliation, I just wanted you to spell it out in writing. I've dealt with thousands of people like you over the years and you're all the same and so very predictable.

Most of you are not malicious but you end up pushing products on people who are desperate to try anything to feel better. They often end up suffering more and good god does it piss me off.

Seems like any thing such as the weight loss items sold by Advocare and any other company made my blood work like ALT and AST go really high - when I went off those items my blood work was normal. they always would take my blood prior to receiving remidicade which I cannot take now and dr wants me to start Humira - my biggest problem is I really don't have any more flare ups at all since I went on a No-Fiber diet and Lactaid milk - I would like to try not having anything for a while and drs are resisting even though I never took any meds for 10 years for Crohns - and a new IBD sgi diagnotic test only showed pattern consistent with IBD and unconclusive for Crohns or UC - so I'm really hesitant now - has been a big mess taking ASA and Remicade - ended up in hospital more with those side effects than anything that had to do with IBD since my new diet

Hi! I found this forum when doing some extra research on Crohn's for a very sweet friend of mine that has asked me to help she and her husband improve their health (weight loss for him, product info to clear with her Crohn's doctors first) with Advocare. I just wanted to give a little insight to better answer your question about Spark for someone with Crohn's.

AdvoCare is an 18 year old Health and Wellness company *not* a "diet" company or anything of that nature. When you're taking an objective look at the products that Advocare offers, you must first look at the reputation of the company, science behind the products and results from others that have used the products. You can see AdvoCare results all over the web and probably even in your own neighborhood that have changed lives both inside and out. Just to reiterate: I'm not here to "sell" anyone on a box of Spark or Advocare products at all, but I would be more than happy to share any/all information I've gathered for my friend to take to her Doctor to be approved prior to us starting her on her way to better health.

Now, I've found that 2 key nutritional supplements that are recommended for someone with Crohn's are Omega 3's and Probiotics. I tried to attach documents on here but they were too large. Just google "Dr Oz Smart Guide to buying supplements" where you'll see Advocare's Probiotic Restore Ultra and OmegaPlex were mentioned. **EDIT: The findings of Dr. Oz were based on scientific, proven studies done by HIS team-not affiliated with advocare-of hundreds of supplements on the market. If you have Crohn's and look at almost any article regarding supplements/vitamins recommended for those with Crohn's, including the .gov site, you will find that OMEGA 3'S AND PROBIOTICS are highly recommended. THAT was the reason for suggesting taking a look at the guide by Dr. Oz. And YES, it was GENUINE. I don't need to conjure sales from a forum. And if there was a way to delete my name and everything associated with it on this site I would. Since its not, I want to be sure that my point and intentions are clear to others based on the question that was asked. Not just some random judgement from an "administrators" personal experience. The cherry picked information has nothing to do with Spark. Don't discount products that are proven effective for those that are on this forum actually wanting SOLUTIONS-not more problems or a debate. If anyone has had issues with the products themselves, talk to the distributor that sold them. The reason we are distributor based is so that people don't purchase random supplements without instruction and take them wrong.**
Google the "Texas Tech Spark Study" validation to the effectiveness for those with ADD/ADHD to boost mental focus with added energy. Being someone that used to drink red bulls like water and having had ADHD all my life, I can tell you that ONE packet of Spark changed my life forever. But this isn't about me...
...so the last thing I would like to mention that I read about some of the most severe cases with Crohn's disease and how they often must be fed all of their nutrition via intravenous feeding through the tube in their veins to save their lives...One of the Doctors on Advocare's Scientific and Medical Advisory Board , Dr. Stanley Dudrick, *pioneered the invention of TPN feeding* and HE is a part of the formulation of Spark...I would never doubt anything that has his name on it, personally.
Here is one article of many about this: (i hope this link works, i've never written on a forum like this)http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20071854,00.html

NO MATTER WHAT-ALWAYS ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING ANY PRODUCTS!
(especially ones on the mainstream grocery shelves)
Hope at least some of this helps you, aubrey!!
After this post, I was asked if I had any affiliation with AdvoCare itself and then was asked "what I would recommend NOT be taken by someone with IBD" I misunderstood when I assumed the question was genuine. I never expected anyone to even comment back but when I'm asked if I'm affiliated with Advocare, OF COURSE I'm going to answer to that and give my website where they can see my photo and our story as well as our contact information to know that I am a REAL person. I'm not twisting arms or spamming anyone into buying things from the website. I know that I did what I thought to be right. I've deleted that now and truly regret ever making that first post. I hope that everyone else that enters this forum and stumbles on this thread will be able to do some genuine research on my recommendations and let their doctor decide whats best for them. I absolutely would not ever want any "sales" conjured up from this for the sole aspect that I don't want to have to deal with someone like you. For an administrator, you have failed at providing good, solid information about the REAL question at hand. Since you're the administrator, help me get approval to change my username, lets delete these posts and start over. I am rational and knowing my intentions were sincere. I don't want anyone visiting my website or having any kind of means to find my family on this site.

David

Co-Founder
Hahahahah, so now you cover up your drivel by deleting all of it after the fact. It's so pathetic it's funny.

You're banned and yes, your username will be staying the same so people can search for you and see how you cover up your messes.

How could someone NOT trust AdvoCare with someone like you representing them?

:lol:

Dear David,

I was recently introduced to the line of products offered by Advocare for Health and Wellness. I would like to say I have done an extensive amount of research independently. At this time I am merely a product user, and have no ties as a distributor.

I will be purchasing the Biotools, and under the careful watch of my gastro Dr, begin taking the supplements within the next month. One of the reasons I have decided to try the Biotools is due to the fact it contains catsclaw. An herb that my herbalist has begged me for years to try. Catsclaw is immune boosting and anti-inflammatory.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/cats-claw-000229.htm

I would like to not attack the fellow you have banned, but I would like to say that I hope you would allow me to share my personal experience with the forum as I take a journey to try something new.

Also a note concerning Chrons disease and there are 5 different types. I have seen from my experience as patient from this illness and knowing a few other individuals with the disease, and different classifications of symptoms that the different types require different medications, and maintenance. Something for everyone to keep in mind.

http://www.webmd.com/ibd-crohns-disease/crohns-disease/5-types-crohns-disease

Sincerely,
Jessie_76

David

Co-Founder
Hi Jessie,

Due to the nature of Advocare and the marketing techniques utilized in its distribution, we would need some form of proof that you in fact have Crohn's Disease and your GI is monitoring your use of it in order to allow you to share your results.

Harsh, I realize, and I deeply apologize in advance if you do choose to provide such proof, but we're getting tired of some of the marketing techniques being used to prey upon people with this terrible disease.

Wow, how could you even suggest that someone would fake Chrons disease?
I am actually chuckling at the suggestion. Maybe I am naive. I dunno but to fact Chron Crohns would be...well I couldn't imagine it. I don't think that there are people out there that would do so.

I have suffered thru sitting on the toilet and vomiting into a trash can at the same time, the severe fatigue, crawling to the bathroom because I am so weak that I can't walk. Had sever and drastic weightloss and dropped in a matter of two weeks from 130lbs to to a low of 93lbs. @ 5'5". I deal with fistlae and fissures and know what it is to have accidents, and lets not forget trying to beat down the bathroom door to chase someone one out, or tracking all of the places I can stop for the bathroom when I have to travel. Oh I have even stopped and run into corn fields with my trusty roll of toilet paper I keep in my van. I am also of European Jewish descent.

The Chrons Crohns starts at the bottom and goes just past the ileum into the small bowel. I also about 4 years ago had to have my esophagus expanded due to a twisted esophagus. My doctor said it is probably from the years of vomiting.

I am currently taking flagyll 3000 mgs a day due to on going infections with the fistlae and fissures, I love the funny tongue plaque that builds up and the metallic flavor in my mouth. I am currently trying to avoid surgery for these, and also have ongoing gall bladder issues.

At one point I begged my Doc to remove my colon and go to a bag because I was so tired of being sick I was about 25 at the time.

I would be happy to give you the name of the gastro Dr. I have been with since I was 20 years old. Dr. Micheal Gorsky of Dayton Gastroenterology formerly Gastroenterology and Liver Disease consultants main office Beaver Creek Ohio.

I was started on meds of sulfasalzine, and prednisone when I was initially diagnosed, then given asacol, and prednisone, those two sets didn't work, the only medications that have ever given me relief are Remicade can't take caused heart issues, and had an anaphylatic shock reaction was switched to Humira injections every two weeks. In fact because I am unable to pay the co-pay I receive my medication thru the PAP program thru Abbott.

SO when I have the proof you request I will give it to you.

David

Co-Founder
Due to the nature of multi level marketing, there is almost always greed, bias and conflict of interest involved. When such variables are involved, lying and underhanded techniques begin to be utilized by some. You've stated you've done research on the product. I personally don't understand how you can trust the information you've found or been told.

Due to my personal intake of herbs and a personal understanding of the type of Crohns I have I am giving the products a shot. I have researched the herbs and plants that they use and I think they appear to be legit. Heck I drink their spark and it doesn't affect my tummy and I like it. But to each their own. I think that my sharing how it works for me is not to sell anyone anything. It would be no different than me praising the effects of using chlorophyll. Which I consume copius amounts of mixed with water daily. I also use 3bees and valerian root.

Look as I said I will provide you the proof if that is what it takes to talk aobut the stuff on here. Until I do I do not wish to dispute or legitimize results. I am merely here to discuss my personal struggles since I was 16 with Crohns.

Money is not the root of greed people are. It is unfortunate that human nature is as such.

I found this forum by doing a search on "advocare" and "colitis". It led me to this thread. I'm looking for info (and possibly answers) because I have begun having symptoms after being symptom free for years. I actually believed I was cured!! :) Here's my brief story:

My husband has been into fitness and dietary change for over two years. He lost over 60 pounds thru dietary changes, lifestyle change and consistant exercise. He met an Advocare distributor thru his business association. Always looking for business opportunties, and being into fitness and diet (along with other supplements), he thought he'd give the products a try. If he liked them, he would consider becoming a distributor. Now as far as the MLM aspect, I really don't think Advocare is any different than Avon, Herbalife, Mary Kay, ect. As in any product, you really just need to do good thorough research and product testing.

Here's the "my story" part. I decided to try the 24-day challenge/cleanse along with him. I read about the products, met with an advisor, and had tried Spark. I thought, why not, I could use a jump start on weight loss (after being stuck on those "last ten baby pounds" with my last three kids). For my husband, it worked great. Even though he already eats right and exercises most every day, he still lost inches, and has now switched his current supplements over to Advocare. I also did lose inches during the challenge and completely lost my sweets and late night snacking cravings. I also lost my 1 pot/day coffee addiction. For me.... score!! But I noticed these weird feelings that were oh so familiar. By the end of the 24-day challenge, my symptoms are now getting consistant and bad enough to check in with my doctor. :( I was hoping to see if I just messed up by doing a very high fiber cleanse, or if anyone here has had any experience with IBD and the product line. Being symptom free for almost 5 years, I thought I was in the clear. No meds, no nothing!!!

So far it doesn't seem like any past experience. But I'll stick around to see if anyone comes forward.

David

Co-Founder
Uh huh.

Thread closed. Advocare is MLM and in my opinion a scam. Discussion of it is not welcome here because it just brings out people that in my opinion are scam artists.

Status
Not open for further replies.