• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Afraid

I am new here. I am a 46 year old mom of three and grandma to one. Been suffering with extream diarrhea/mucus and blood for about four months. Found out I was diabetic and hypothyroid last week and went for colonoscopy yesterday. After my colonoscopy dr said my colon was nasty. Foul smelling full of puss and took 18 biopsies diagnosed me with ulcerative colitis. Then he ordered some other blood work to test my liver said he was going on holiday for a week and call him for results when he is back. I am so frighten can anyone tell me what you think the 18 samples are from? I read online that it is most likely cancer if more than one polyp but dr did not use the word polyp. Any insight would be great good or bad please be honest.
Thx berley

scottsma

Hello and welcome to the forum.Please don't be scared.I know that's easy to say,but just take one day at a time until you get your results.You're mind will be all over the place and it's the easiest thing in the world to diagnose yourself.I'm sure someone will be along soon who has been through similar problems and you will get lots of support and advice from others on the forum. Chin Up. x

valleysangel92

Staff member
Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you've found us so we can give you some support.

I know its tempting to look everything up and try to come up with a diagnosis, but the internet isnt always right and it can be hard to make some of it applicable to complex conditions like crohns and UC. Having a large number of biopsies taken doesnt automatically mean that they are looking for cancer. They may just be making sure that they can get the clearest possible view of whats going on so that they can find the best ways of helping you get better. The biopsies can help them determine how much of the damaged tissue is active inflammation and how much is scar tissue from possible previous flares. There is a possibility that the puss is from ulcers which may or may not have ruptured, Ulcers are very common in UC. I would assume that if there were any polyps there they would have been removed and your doctor would have told you this.

I know it is easier said than done, but try to keep an open mind and not get too stressed out about this. We are all here for you and will help you get through whatever comes next. :hang:

valleysangel92

Staff member
Just wanted to add..

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you want, and dont feel embarrassed, we are all in similar boats, if ever you need to just let everything out, this is a brilliant place to do it. You can rant and rave and have a little cry if needed and no one will ever think any less of you. :)