• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

After 15 yrs 6 mp failing-Remicade ?

Hi All, I've been on 6mp for 15 years w/ Crohns and have never been hosptilized, no surgeries with occasional flares. I originally started on 50 mg, went to 75 and now 100mg. I am flaring and had to be put on steroids recently. The Doctor mentioned switching me to Remicade. Is Remicade administered via infusion or self injection? I'm so afraid to switch drugs because 6mp has kept me fairly healthy for many years. Also, I work and am hoping the treatment will be convenient. My blood work has always been good on 6mp but it seems to be losing effectiveness.

Any advise is appreciated.

Remicade is an IV infusion, it takes around 2-4 hours depending how fast they push, my son's infusion last around 2 and half hours. Some experience tiredness or achiness or other symptoms after the infusion. My son is tired for an hour or two but I think that is due to the benedryl they give him IV before infusion. Another tnf blocker, Humira is given by self injection. I think it is two shots every two weeks but I could be wrong.

I was really scared at first to start Remicade because of all the horrible side effects and horror stories I'd heard. But I haven't experienced any ill effects three infusions in. With Remicade, when it works it really, really works and a significant portion of those who use it achieve remission, which is great.

In my case, my doctor pretty much presented it to me like this: While 6mp and Pentasa were making a significant dent in the inflammation, it wasn't entirely fixing the problem. I was essentially stuck between a rock and a hard place... Either deal with worsening symptoms and constant pain, or start Remicade and risk the side effects.

The good news is that Remicade infusions are really convenient if you can get down to using them as monotherapy. After the first few infusions, you'll only have to go in every other month for a 3 hour infusion and that's all you'll have to do to manage your Crohn's. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about Remicade, as I feel I'm pretty knowledgeable. I hope it gets better for you and I hope we can help put you at ease.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi mom5272! :) Like you I started at 50mg and went up to 100mg. The 6MP started to affect my liver so I had to come off it earlier this year. I had been taking it for a little over 15 years as well. I was switched to Humira, an injection given every 2 weeks but that didn't work out for me as I kept getting upper respiratory infections after every shot that would last for the full 2 weeks. So now I'm waiting to start Remicade an infusion. I'm still in remission and would like to stay that way. I'll be starting Remicade in January, 4 weeks after my surgery (I'm having my tonsils removed so I have to wait to start Remicade so I heal properly). I hope either one works for you. :)