• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Agonising Constipation

I go for two to three weeks with loose BMs every morning and I feel great, then without warning I'll get a few days of terrible constipation and it's agony and so damaging to my perianal Crohn's.

Aside from taking a Laxido everyday (which I now vow to do even when I have loose BMs as constipation wrecks my backside after all the good the medications do) what natural supplements can I take safely everyday for constipation? What foods should I avoid?

I've got pain radiating through my whole lower body after this morning's struggle :(

Hannah xx

I think psyllium husks might help with constipation as well as diarrhoea, but you have to drink a lot of water with them. Then the psyllium pulls more water into your stool and softens it.

I haven't tried them myself though!

I suffered from C until I got on Remicade, I will share my tips,

1) Stool softeners everyday

2) Drink lots of water

3) I took a Chinese Herbal Supplement based on licorice everyday. I found it kept things moving but was easier on my system than anything else and didn't upset my stomach. I went to a Chinese Herbalist to get it. It is called San Huang Wan and contains Huang Lian, Da Huang, Hung Qin. I took 2 everyday, but you could take up to 4.

4) I used some Miralax, enemas, mineral oil when things got bad sometimes before I found the Chinese herbal supplement.

5) I couldn't take fiber supplements as I have a slight stricture and IBS so anything with inulin in it wasn't pleasant.

I no longer need to use anything as the Remicade has made the constipation go away and I sometime swing a little towards D upon occaision.

Good luck!! Not going can make you feel so icky!

This is my life every day. I never have had D. I drink over 80 ounces of water a day and other liquids besides and still nothing. For me, Psyllium is the absolute worst thing in the world. It makes it even worse and causes worse damage. Stool softners do absolutely nothing and so do almost all laxatives. I'm surprised they told me there is no stricture because it certainly isn't working right.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Constipation is actually really common with Crohn's and for you to get relief you need to first find out the cause of the constipation. It could be from scar tissue, thick inflammation, diet or not getting enough fluids. I've struggled with 'C' all my life.

1) Drink a lot of fluids. The simple fact you have IBD, flare or not, you are more prone to dehydration. I would reccomended drinking more than 8, eight ounce glasses of water a day. Especially during meals and with pills. The water will help move food along.
2) Get fiber through things like smoothies/powders.
3) Do miralax regularly. Not just when constipated. It will make you regular and you can always adjust the dose. Because it is magnesium, your colon won't get 'addicted to it'.
4) Mineral oil on a liquid stomach. You can get it OTC at any drug store.
5) When all else fails, including enemas, ask about getting a script for Kristalose.
6) Exercise, preferably after breakfast or in the morning. It will get things moving.

kiny

Yeh, it's cause of fibrosis or adhesions.

They really need to focus on fibrosis for crohn, it's way worse than crohn itself.

There are medications for cystic lung fibrosis, but none of them are used for crohn yet and very few hospitals seem to know how to deal with fibrosis.

I don't feel balloon dilation is a solution, there are too many complications and some people are worse off eventually than better. It's better than nothing, but the way fibrosis is ignored is sad for crohn. Because fibrosis is way worse and it's the biggest complication of crohn.

Constipation because of inflammation simply subsides with anti-inflammatory medication, but fibrosis does not. They need better ways to reduce collagen content and block TGFB1 while they do that.

Anti-inflammatories actually tend to make it worse, because the more healing you get the more flexibility you tend to lose and the more pain you get. The pain doesn't come from inflammation, the pain is from the constipation.

Chronic constipation because of fibrosis has nothing to do with inflammation, and remicade or any anti-inflammatory is going to do didly squat, it tends to actually make it worse. People where the mucosa has healed completely and there is no sign of inflammation or crohn and still have pain have fibrosis. It will wreck their whole lower body because of the pressure.

Last edited:

kiny

There are a few natural TGFB1 blockers but they are not that effective, in the few studies with rats they inject those in the place of collagen or do enemas with them and they help, but they're very high doses. Still, I would use them orally to prevent further worsening if possible, it's better than nothing.

I went through a period just like this. Miralax once a day worked well for me for a while, and stool softeners sometimes helped when I took two a day. Also, strangely enough, coconut oil helped keep me regular! I would make a smoothie every morning, usually strawberries, blueberries, bananas and either milk/yogurt then mix the coconut oil (1 heaping TBSP) right in! It tasted fabulous too :) It's a good natural option to try if you aren't opposed to the taste.

Rebecca - thanks I think I could give them a go, we get it in the UK it's called Fybogel. It's the risk that you take in fibre and you have to drink a tonne of water otherwise it blocks you up more.

Kllyeve - that supplement sounds good, I hear peppermint/nettle/fennel/liquorice teas are good too, but I think that's more for settling your stomach. I've tried aloe vera capsules and flax seed oil capsules too, maybe I need to persist with the flax seed oil (I heard something about aloe vera causing inflammation so better give that a miss)

Keepingfaith - I've had constipation ever since I was a child, it was what caused my fissures initially. It's not scar tissue, intestinal inflammation or strictures because I don't get crohn's in my bowel (I had a colonoscopy) just my rectum and anus. I don't really know what causes it because of the irregularities experience, but I do know I need a way to prevent it! I take Laxido which is an osmotic laxative like miralax, but it's not hugely effective unless you take it a lot and it causes a lot of wind. Maybe miralax would be better.

Kiny - I can see how that would be the case but for me I don't experience crohn's in my small or large intestines so I don't think it could be this, I've had a CT scan and a colonoscopy and everything's normal. I think it's just bad luck and the way my body is, maybe it's due to mild inflammation when I have loose movements, I don't know. It's just that passing difficult BMs is so damaging to my perianal area and whatever medication I'm on for crohn's it's not going to prevent my butt hole tearing when I'm constipated and causing fissures! :(

rkoll327 - yes I've heard coconut is a natural laxative, works like senna in that it stimulated the bowel rather than draws water in. Where would I buy coconut oil from? I don't much like coconut but I'm willing to try anything!

I took one Laxido sachet and a few teaspoons of lactulose last night and things weren't too bad this morning. Got stomach ache but not sure if that might be from the 6MP as I had that on Aza too.

You should be able to find it at any major grocery store, Trader Joes and Whole Foods and natural food shops definitely carry it. If you make it in a smoothie you can barely taste it! Just a hint so you may enjoy it. It comes in a jar, and looks solid so dot be alarmed when it doesn't look like oil. The virgin organic kind is usually very soft but if you want to soften it/melt it down just pop in the microwave for about 15 seconds in a dish.

Constipation is actually really common with Crohn's and for you to get relief you need to first find out the cause of the constipation. It could be from scar tissue, thick inflammation, diet or not getting enough fluids. I've struggled with 'C' all my life.

1) Drink a lot of fluids. The simple fact you have IBD, flare or not, you are more prone to dehydration. I would reccomended drinking more than 8, eight ounce glasses of water a day. Especially during meals and with pills. The water will help move food along.
2) Get fiber through things like smoothies/powders.
3) Do miralax regularly. Not just when constipated. It will make you regular and you can always adjust the dose. Because it is magnesium, your colon won't get 'addicted to it'.
4) Mineral oil on a liquid stomach. You can get it OTC at any drug store.
5) When all else fails, including enemas, ask about getting a script for Kristalose.
6) Exercise, preferably after breakfast or in the morning. It will get things moving.
I'm so upset, I'm constipated AGAIN :( been two days now and both this morning and yesterday morning I physically couldnt go even though everything was 'ready and waiting' so to speak! The only way to go is to literally take care of things manually :( I hate my body.

I've got several sachets of Laxido, the main ingredient being Polyethylene Glycol, which draws water into the large bowel (the same ingredient in Miralax). Thing is I think it's best used regularly for a long time because one sachet just does nothing for me, I took one yesterday morning and I still had severe constipation and really dried out stools this morning.

Kristalose, (which is lactulose), is generally really good, I take it in the liquid form before bed and it does pretty much liquidise your insides, although I think I was a bit far gone when I took it last night. I wonder if taking the sachets of kristalose daily would help?

I do need to get more exercise, I know that much, my lifestyle is pretty sedentary because of the job I do and the commute. It's just that for weeks I'll have really loose stools, to the point where I'm woken up early because I have to go, then all of a sudden it's like I'm impacted and I literally cant pass anything.

I wish I knew what to do to fix this, because I'm completely wrecking my backside and right now I'm in a lot of pain :(

Sorry Hannah :( I deffinately know the feeling. My inflammation is really bad I can go for 2 whole weeks without a bowel movement-talk about miserable! Last weekend I was feeling so bloated because I haven't gone for 5 days and I went to walmart and bought that disgusting clean out prep that comes in a clear glass/plastic bottle. That strong stuff usually makes me go within a hour and it CLEANS ME OUT but it didn't this time. I was still constipated.

I recently have added a lot of fiber to my diet which has made my symptoms much worse but it helped me stay regular! I'm going to have to stop eating so many fruits/whole grains because it's making my gut miserable (I've taken 4 lortabs in the past 24 hours and still have been crying from the pain)but considering you don't have ANY Crohn's in your GI tract you it could help you. I'm not talking "Oh I ate a bowl of fiber one cereal and I'm still constipated. It didn't work." I'm talking at least 20 grams of fiber! My GI RX me Kristalose but I never got the script filled. I hear it works great but I'm always either going a lot or terriably constipated.

Hang in there! Talk to your GI about other possible treatments. If it's inflammation steroid suppositories might help! I know you have perianal Crohn's but I would think that inflammation can till go as deep as the rectum tissues and that could be causing you the constipation/pain. Can't hurt to ask the GI.

Hmmm... lots of food for thought here. Thank you. I get severly constipated. Always have since I was a child. Miralax gives me a very sore bottom. Even though I was taking it and having applesauce consitancy bm's, I was still very, very constipated and so bloated. I took four Women's Ducolax Laxative Pills and finally began to have semi-firm bm's and towards the end a few firm bm's. I lost four pounds that day.

I have a problem with hydration so I'm wondering if Psyllium would be a bad thing for me. With as bad as my GERD is, having to drink extra liquids would not be a good thing. The clear liquid in the bottle is Magnesium Citrate. Tried that, it was awful for me. Made me so sick for three days. Latulose only succeeds in causing me severe gas and bloating. No bm's. I had to do the Dulcolax Laxative again this week and I got dehydrated from it this time. I really wish my GI doc would do a colonoscopy. I think he is waiting to see if there is any blood in the stool test he is having me do.

I had an upper endoscopy w/biopsy yesterday. Some of the preliminary results are as follows:

1) The esophagus shows signs of GERD. (I need him to give me clarity on that statement. He did not put it in his report, only verbally said it to my son and I.)

2) There is evidence of delayed gastric emptying. Do a Gastric Motility Test.

3) Normal Duodenum

4) Regular margins in the gastroesophaegeal junction. (Biopsy)

5) Erythema & friability in the antrum compatible with gastritis. (Biopsy)

6) Hiatal Hernia in the cardia.

The GI doc told me on Wednesday to take the Dulcolax Laxative every three days. He also said that I have to do what ever I need to do to keep things moving. He then gave me a script for Amitiza 24MCG Cap to take once a day. I took one last night w/both a glass of milk and a glass of water. I am passing some gas but that's it. I don't even have the urge to do a BM; that's what's freaking me out. I'm hoping to be off of Warfarin soon. I am on Warfarin due to two blood clots in my left biscep. Then I can eat some of the foods I like and that might help with my colon.

I do IV hydration with normal saline at home almost every night. Sometimes I will urinate more than I take in. At night, I can sweat so badly that in a two and a half hour period I will have to dry myself off and change clothes at least three times. I wake up and find myself soaked from head to toe. I can dehydrate overnight. It's weird. When I recently spent a week in the hospital, they observed this. Everyone is at a loss as to why it is happening. I used to have these intense sweating episodes far and few in between when I was younger. They gradually began to get closer together. Then when I got Complex Regiona Pain Syndrome (CRPS), formally known as and still referred to by most medical professionals as, Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD), the sweating episodes got out of control. I have also had dry eyes for years. Now they are dangerously dry. I have had to have Punctal tubes put in both eyes. I also use restasis, Genteal, and preservative free eye lubrication drops. Occassionally I will use Refresh Tears up to four times a day. Your not supposed to use them any more than that due to the preservatives.

OK. Now that you see what the issues are regarding my hydration, do you see the delema I have in trying to get the constipation under control. I wish so much that it was under control. I am in so much pain from it.

I don't mean to steal the thread, but I too can use some help here.

Im experiencing a similar situation, it seemed to me that constipation isn't something common with crohn's. Glad to know I'm not the only one. I've been on miralax for weeks now, added a stool softener and then things were more normal. Whn I started having a second bowel movement he other day and it was complete diarrhea I thought I better back off. So I didn't take either for a day and now I'm barely able to go. Constipation stinks. My fissures just seem to have healed somewhat and im afraid my next bathroom visit will undo all the healing. I'd be so upset, it's the worst pain. I'm back on stool softener per doctor advise. Hoping it'll help, otherwise I'll have to add miralax again too. Argh!

Mattannika, Sorry to hear what you're going through. You may have to stay on the Miralax for a while until the fissures heal. Perhaps titrate down by 1/4 a dose of Miralax until you find what dose works best for you. Never give up. Keep trying. You'll get it figured out and as soon as you do you're body will change. It is a never ending battle. Ha, ha.

:ghug:

Blessings, NL

I go for two to three weeks with loose BMs every morning and I feel great, then without warning I'll get a few days of terrible constipation and it's agony and so damaging to my perianal Crohn's.

Aside from taking a Laxido everyday (which I now vow to do even when I have loose BMs as constipation wrecks my backside after all the good the medications do) what natural supplements can I take safely everyday for constipation? What foods should I avoid?

I've got pain radiating through my whole lower body after this morning's struggle :(

Hannah xx
Would love to know if you ever found a solution to this as I seem to be experiencing something very similar particularly the radiating pain after a motion.

The amount of pain I experience seems unrelated to the effort involved in the motion. Sometimes I have no problem passing stools and the pain afterwards can be painful, longlasting and thoroughly debilitating and other times I can struggle to pass and the pain is less.

My type of crohns caused extreme constipation and I got on a drug called Amatiza that draws water into the large intestine. For me it caused diarrhea when it was working but it was better than being clogged up. Had no side effects that I could remember.

A note of caution here- if there is narrowing because of fibrosis, laxatives could actually be dangerous to you. Use with caution please! Something like mineral oil that acts as a lubricant is a good idea. As much as possible, try to relax and not push when you are having or trying to have movements. I have found for me that this does help somewhat. The more I strained, the stronger the pain seems to get. I would guess that as there is a lot of muscle in the area that pushing increases blood flow, and that the fibrosis somehow doesn't allow it to circulate as well causing additional swelling. Try not holding as much, and make an effort to get to the washroom when you feel any pressure. I believe in my case that as there is at least some voluntary control on that muscle, it gets "trained" to hold if you are worried about diarrhea. Please note this is my opinion, not in any way vetted medically, but it seems to help a little for me. Despite that, I still do require balloon dilatation every couple years. Eventually I will probably require some surgery for it.

I don't have Crohn's but I do have constipation every single day of my life (and I'm vegan!) I often used to spend 3 hours suffering on the toilet. Now I give myself a daily enema, (using several bags of water). It takes about an hour, but it's much less uncomfortable, faster and even my hemorrhoids have improved. I have been doing this pretty much every day for like 4 years with seemingly no ill effects. No meds worked for me.