• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ahh, oops/ Got drunk... on Methotrexate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, yep, it finally happened. Been on Methotrex for a couple weeks now, almost never drink, but tonight was a night. Fighting the Codeine, felt sorry for myself, had a few drinks, and Bam. This happen to anyone else?

nogutsnoglory

Here is another thread on it. http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=9556

It seems in my quick googling there is no consensus but its definitely discouraged. It can cause liver toxicity but there are many anecdotal reports of people having a drink or two and who were ok. What happened, happened but just try to exercise caution in the future.

I'm also concerned because you mentioned being very skinny in your intro post and you are more prone to feel the effects of alcohol.

What happened was I was fighting my newfound love of painkillers, which they give me to kill the pain, but I limit to one a day so I don't get the dependancy which I got anyway. And I felt sorry for myself, a bad combo, so I started drinking, and I am still drinking.

nogutsnoglory

Please stop drinking. The interaction of medications and alcohol and your weight all make for a dangerous combination. If you posted and are concerned why are you still drinking?

Can you call a family member or sober friend to pick you up and take you home. Be sure to let them know why.

I didn't say I was concerned, I asked if this had happened to anyone else. And I am home, I live alone.

nogutsnoglory

I'm not judging you. I was showing concern for what I think might be dangerous. You are an adult and will make your own decisions.

Thanks for the newsflash. I was laughing really hard, then I saw you say this wasn't a joke, and I stopped. Knock off the judging. I didn't ask for friends, or sympathy, or you being a jerk on my post, I don't care if you are a moderator. I ASKED IF THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE, nothing more. If it hasn't happened to you, or you don't have something useful to say, get off my thread. Freaking A I was right about this forum.
Noone was judging you and you were acting rashly towards someone who was just concerned. If your liver shuts down and you could die, would you still be calling him names? Please be kind and respectful to everyone on here. We are all going through this together, not as enemies. Thanks!

Ok 723, enlighten me. Where did I call him a name? Please, I read my post 4 times just to be sure.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
"Jerk" was the word you used and the rest of the post was hostile. If this continues then I'll just lock the thread.

I agree with Noguts. Drinking and taking a narcotic are a bad mix. You need to stop taking the alcohol NOW otherwise you will harm your liver.

Folks with IBD can have liver, pancreas, blood clotting issues as well as joint pain, eye problems to name a few.

Why harm yourself by drinking for the heck of it?? it's not worth it.

Ok 723, enlighten me. Where did I call him a name? Please, I read my post 4 times just to be sure.
We are told when we join this forum that being rude is not acceptable. This is a forum for people who truly want to be helped for crohn's and crohn's related issues. If someone is trying to help you as he was, you don't go off on them and say mean things. He didn't say one thing judging you. He was merely explaining you could seriously damage your liver. A friend of mine is in liver failure right now from drugs yrs ago. Trust me, you don't want to go through this. You are young and have a wonderful life ahead of you. Don't take your liver for granted. You only have one. That is all he was saying in my perspective. We love and support on this forum. OK? Thanks for being kind now. I mean it sincerely. T:ghug:

Status
Not open for further replies.