• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

AIEC as the cause for Crohns? Calling Kiny!

Thank you for sharing this. This is interesting:
or use dietary modifications to reduce the availability of [the sugar]
but haven't sugar-less diets been already tested without showing any benefits?

I don't think its necessarily just sugar, its carbs also. I think people have had good success on a no carb diet. But I don't think a low carb diet is sustainable for most people which makes it a challenge.

LOL, well, maybe. I think Kiny has long said that she thinks the research shows AIEC. So I wouldn't call it flavor of the month per se.

Fred Bisci years ago said diets are successful because of what you leave out. SCD, AIEC ,Fodmaps all leave out inflammatory foods.

kiny

Thanks for the study.

Regarding dietary intervention. The most effective dietary intervention has so far been elemental diets, they can often drastically lower intestinal inflammation in patients.

There are lots of theories behind the mechanism of action of the diet. Yet the main difference between a regular diet and an elemental diet is its bioavailability. Elemental diets contain sugars (maltodextrins) that can easily be taken up high in the GI tract before reaching the small intestine. (maltodextrins are sometimes classified as complex carbs in some countries, in Europe they are sometimes reclassified as glucose syrup, but they are really sugars, depending on the level of hydrolysis, they are very close to pure glucose). Fats in elemental diets are in the form of MCT that are highly bioavailable.

Even though there was a study that linked the use of maltodextrin to the rapid proliferation of AIEC in a petri dish, this is not what we see in vivo. People on EN show a rapid decrease in bacterial load, including E Coli, maltodextrin can be taken up much higher in the GI tract, depriving bacteria in the small intestine and colon of nutrients.

The only problem I see with long term use of EN or diets that deprive bacteria of nutrients, is that one also diminishes bacterial diversity, there is not only a decrease of bacterial load with patients on EN, but it also involves a form of dysbiosis. The reintroduction of food might give AIEC a fitness advantage.

Last edited: