• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Alcohol and crohns?

Hi,

I've never been a huge drinker, but i could always 'handle' my alcohol if i wanted it. But ever since my severe flare up this year, which resulted in an ileostomy etc. I can't drink.

Each time I attempt to have an alcoholic drink, I get a burning sensation across my shoulders and down my back and i start to sweat and feel sick. It passes after 15-20 minutes, but i just don't understand why it's happening.

I am being treated with azathioprine and infliximab, but they are not known to have any reaction with alcohol as long as you stay within the guidelines.

If anybody has any idea, or information as to why this is happening that would be great.

Thankyou :rosette1:

Alcohol impairs normal digestion, so will definitely exacerbate the problem when you are already flaring.
http://scdlifestyle.com/2010/01/scd-legal-alcohol/
When I still had Crohn's symptoms, I cut out alcohol for awhile as part of beginning the Specific Carbohydrate diet. Now I can drink wine and vodka (just mixed with soda water - no sugary mixers) without any problem.
The specific burning sensation reaction might be worth asking a dr about.

I find wine gives me a stomach reaction whereas gin and tonic doesn't. I'm just on aza though.
My cousins daughter, who is on the same drugs as you forehead, drinks whatever she wants within reason and has no reaction at all.
Bunty x

Thanks everyone, i am no longer flaring since i had my ileostomy (april this year) and everything has been normal and i have only had minor healing pain since. But i think i will ask my doctor about it, i can live without drinking if i have to..just not the best thing when ive just turned 18 haha.

But thanks for the replies😊

fuzzy butterfly

Thanks everyone, i am no longer flaring since i had my ileostomy (april this year) and everything has been normal and i have only had minor healing pain since. But i think i will ask my doctor about it, i can live without drinking if i have to..just not the best thing when ive just turned 18 haha.

But thanks for the replies😊
hi, i had ileostomy for a year and i could drink ok, not that i drank alot at any one time, maybe a glass or two of wine, lager , i may have been a bit out putty the next day tho ;).. check with doc re the pains best to be safe than sorry there !!

hi mandyk,

my doctor said my ileostomy will get reversed eventually, im due to go see him on the 10th september to talk about my surgical plan. So hopefully i'll get to speak to him about it then. I have never been able to stand the taste of lager/cider or wine, so i only drink spirits, but not much. But i will talk to my doc about the pains.

Thanks!

fuzzy butterfly

hi mandyk,

my doctor said my ileostomy will get reversed eventually, im due to go see him on the 10th september to talk about my surgical plan. So hopefully i'll get to speak to him about it then. I have never been able to stand the taste of lager/cider or wine, so i only drink spirits, but not much. But i will talk to my doc about the pains.

Thanks!
hi oh ok we all have different likes ect, tho im a fan of whiskey,gin, tia maria,baileys as well :drink: :ylol:.... hope your pains dont get worse in the meantime, hope they go away before then, sending best wishes..

Sometimes i used to get like a gnawing raw ticklish sensation centre of belly button after drinking some types of soft drinks fruity one's and nrg drinks rarely get that from the drinks i have now a saying never drink or smoke either type ;) on n empty stomach line it with something before you partake or the acid will attack