• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Alcohol and predisolone

I started taking 30mg predisolone yesterday and will continue for 2 weeks then drop by 5mg every week. Can I drink alcohol whilst on if? I've read different things and the nhs site states there are no known interactions between the two. I know prednisone is worse

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I have had alcohol while on both meds, no problems.

How people with IBD respond to alcohol varies just as it does with food:
http://ibdcrohns.about.com/cs/faqs/a/drinkingibsibd.htm

However I would advise you that if you choose to drink, do so in moderation. Keep in mind that you are on these meds for a reason, to promote healing. If your body is working overtime to breakdown all of the alcohol you choose to drink, it has less time to work on healing and possibly getting you off of a particular medication faster.

I drank alcohol (within UK guideline amounts :cheerss:) whilst on pred with no problems. I don't know of any reason why you can't have the occasional drink along with pred.

Thanks nitty, not planning to go made just a few pints just don't want to be caught short if you know what I mean. Ive read it can give u diarrhea

It probably just depends on your individual make-up. Pre-Crohn's, if I ever felt a bit constipated, a small glass of wine always made me go to the loo, but that was the desired effect at the time. Not an issue now !!!