• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Algae on SCD

nogutsnoglory

I'm confused by the legal/illegal list on the SCD website. It says algae (spirulina) illegal. Then lists spirulina separately as illegal.

Since it has spirulina in parentheses in confused if all algae is illegal or just spirulina?

I really like dulse and nori hope I can eat those.

dulse and nori are seaweeds not algae,
but are still illegal....
" Elaine Gottshall writes:
Seaweeds are forbidden because of the abundance of research dealing with carrageenan, a seaweed. Two researchers, Watson and Marcus, upon investigating a pharmaceutical made out of hydrolyzed carrageenan, found that the tiniest miniscule of it in the drinking water of numerous laboratory animals caused ulcerative colitis.

Seaweed is high in polysaccharides. It may be called a "sea vegetable" but it sort of falls into the same category of okra (at least, as far as SCD is concerned), and also herbs like marshmallow and slippery elm. Slimy, mucilaginous substances are often prescribed by naturopaths who think the "coating" properties are helpful to the intestines. They aren't. We who have compromised guts cannot digest this stuff - but our bugs can have quite a party on it. "

They are Paleo 'Legal' :)