• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Allergic Reaction to TPN?

Has anyone ever had an allergic reaction to TPN? I started it last Tuesday and started getting a rash on my forearms Thursday. Now it's my arms, neck, face/head. It's getting very itchy. I thought it was from Nystatin I was taking for thrush, but I haven't had it for 24 hours and the rash is worse.

Trysha

Staff member
Time for you to get some medical advice and make it sooner than later.
You need treatment to keep it from getting worse.
Go to ER or at least phone them now.
Do you have any benadryl or other antihistamine?
It can have serious implications if not treated soon.
Let us know how you make out
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

I'm actually in the hospital already. Hopefully they can figure something out today. I was just trying to figure out if it is possible to have an allergic reaction to it. It seems like a strange thing to be allergic to.

My daughter had that reaction on her second week of TPN.. They put in a PICC line and the rash went away. Are you getting TPN via IV or PICC?

I'm getting it through a PICC line. The dietician removed copper, thiamin, and the multi vitamin. It seems to be getting better.

It's weird that it didn't start immediately for me either

Dietitian made the right move. I hope it continues to get better. The reactions my kid has had took a few days and they were with IV, not PICC. I would be very worried too if it was a reaction while on a PICC