• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Allergies better or worse on Remicade/ Infliximab?

Hey there, just wondering about your experiences with allergies and Remicade on Inflectra. I’m a bit of a bubble boy, so already heavily restricted on what I can eat due to a number of food allergies (some severe)... and I would say I have a much higher likelihood to be allergic to things than your average person (grasses, moulds, dust, etc) and have mild asthma and eczema.

Are any of the things I am already allergic to likely to lessen or get worse?

Given the significant allergies I already have, does that increase the chance of a bad reaction to Infliximab itself?

If you know of any evidence in these avenues, or have your own experience, I would love to hear it! Thx!

Before I started Remicade for my Crohn's, I always seemed to find that my allergies would be awful in the spring and in the fall, but once I started Remicade, my seasonal allergies were almost completely gone. The medication does supress your immune system, so it would make sense if your allergies do get better, but once I started Remicade, I also started to get into distance running, so I'm not sure if that has also helped.

As for you being allergic to Remicade, that depends. I don't think being allergic to foods or seasonal allergies necessarily puts you at a higher risk to being allergic to Remicade, but I would make sure you definitely address this concern with your GI doctor. It's kind of a wait and see on the day of your first infusion.