• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Almost constant flare ups, after years of remission

I was diagnosed at 10 yrs with Crohn’s, and did ok for awhile, keeping it in check with diet and medication. Throughout most of my 30’s and partway through my 40’s, mostly symptom free, I was doing ok, still maintaining through diet and no meds due to insurance issues so I wasn’t on any meds for the last 10 years. Recently, however, it seems to have flared up in a really big way! Eating and not eating have become a living hell. Foods that I was able to eat with zero problems are now becoming my enemy. Are there any suggestions for me that you might have? Thanks in advance.

Hello, Irritated, and welcome to the forum! You are probably going to want to see your doctor asap and get some tests done to see what is going on. When is the last time you had a colonoscopy? I was diagnosed in 2014 and did fine for four years without meds-just watched my diet. However, 2018 became the year from hell around June. After a CT scan and MRI determined that my Crohn's had become active and severe all at once, I was put on prednisone. I received my second infusion of Remicade yesterday and am also taking 100mg of azathioprine a day. Will be backing off the prednisone soon. Strictures have formed in my small intestine which means I will probably require surgery in the near future. Hopefully your case has not advanced that far, and if you catch it in time, maybe just a treatment with drugs will be enough to keep you in remission. This forum is filled with lots of info from lots of helpful folks, so read all you can! :ysmile:

I really don’t want to go back to the dr. I can remember a a kid being a human pin cushion. All the tests and all the icky meds they had me on. I really don’t wan to go through all those tests again.

I still have nightmares about it.

I can certainly understand that! There are areas in this forum that deal with diet and supplements that may have helpful information for you. Each person is different, and we have to go with our "gut instincts"! Hoho!
Best wishes in your quest to stay doc and med free!:drink:

Irritated, I know that going to the doctor is not a fun thing to do, but you should really go in to see one. I would look at it this way. Do you want to continue to go on and feel sick every day, or would you risk going into the doctor, take medication, and feel like yourself again? It is not very common to treat Crohn's disease just through diet. Medication is almost always needed to treat inflammation and promote healing. If I would never have seen a doctor, I would not be feeling this good about my health as I am today. I say, it is definitely worth going in and seeing a doctor. I hope you feel better! You have my support.