• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Almost out of Mesalamine

So, I'm almost out of my Lialda (Mesalamine) and won't have the money to buy more until the 23rd. I take 2 pills every morning and now I'm down to 10 pills.

I need to know, would it be better to keep on taking the 2 pills every morning until I'm out and go without it for 5 or 6 days, or to go down to 1 pill a day so I can make it last until I can get it refilled?

Also, if I do go down or quit for several days what kind of withdrawal will I experience?

I'd think having mesalamine in your system, even if it's less, would be better than going a few days without it, but that's my unprofessional opinion. Maybe try 1 pill a day or 2 pills every other day.

There shouldn't be any withdrawal symptoms. Mesalamine is pretty mild.

You should call your GI and see if they can get you some medicine...I'm not sure about your specific medicine, but my GI has told me he has a ton of medicine he gets each month that he is allowed to distribute to patients, that I just need to ask. But I was just diagnosed, and got the Pentasa free. But it wouldn't hurt to check! Then while you're talking to your GI if you can't get free meds, definitely ask if you should just take 1 a day. I would take 1 a day. At least SOME would stay in your system for a longer period of time and be able to alleviate potential symptoms.

I agree with both of the previous posters. I especially agree about contacting your doctor. They tend to get tons of samples, there's no reason you should have to go through this. If you can't get any more supply, I would probably go with one pill/day.

Great system.:ymad:

I agree with all of the above. Also, you can check with a pharmacist regarding missing a few days v lower dosage and also potential withdrawal.

Gotta love those docs magic closets!

When I was first dx'd with Crohn's, I didn't have any money for the rx's. Talk to your doc, as they might have samples to hand out. That's what I lived off of for a month until I was able to plan things out. No matter what, at least contact your Dr. and let them know your situation and what they can expect.

<3 Good luck.