• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Alternatives for Remicade- Moderate to severe Crohns disease?

Thoughts? My infusions are only lasting 2.5 weeks now... they used to last the whole 8 weeks, then 6.. then 4... and my dose has tripled since starting it. I think I'm due for a change in the near future. :(

Remicade is the only biologic I've ever been on since being diagnosed. So I think I have a lot of options?

Thanks-

Ama.

Yes, you do have lots of options. Humira, Stelara, Entiyvio, Cimzia are several other biologics that I can think of. Typically, I think Humira is the next step since it is another anti-TNF biologic like Remicade.

All the IBD biologics work by partially suppressing the immune system, thereby reducing the Crohn's inflammation and damage.

In addition to those mentioned above there is also Simponi. Remicade, Humira, Cimzia, and Simponi are all various versions of anti-TNF.

Entyvio is an anti-integrin that tamps down the overactive immune system by decreasing the white blood cells' ability to bind with target cells.

Stelara (my current drug) is anti-IL12/IL23. It binds with the p40 subunit shared by those two molecules and thus reduces the recruitment of white blood cells to the site of inflammation.

I've had the same issue. Was on remicade for 3 years until it was only lasting about a week, wasn't worth it anymore.

I've been off remicade for a few years but i feel a flare starting. My Dr. wanted me on Humira. He said since its administered more frequently (approx. every 2 weeks), it may give me a boost as the effects from the last injection wears off.

Unfortunately, my insurance decided it won't cover it so I won't get to try it.

Thoughts? My infusions are only lasting 2.5 weeks now... they used to last the whole 8 weeks, then 6.. then 4... and my dose has tripled since starting it. I think I'm due for a change in the near future. :(

Remicade is the only biologic I've ever been on since being diagnosed. So I think I have a lot of options?

Thanks-

Ama.
Have you tried modifying your diet a bit? I've been on remicade for the past 18 years, highest doseage. I get it every 4 weeks. If it wasn't for dietary changes, I would have to quit remicade and try something else because remicade alone will not work for me.

Hi Poppycock, I know this post is older but what diet do you follow while you are on Remicade? How do you know the diet is prolonging the remicade in your body?