• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Alternatives to Pentasa?

I got a prescription for Pentasa 1000mg 2x/day last Thursday from a new GI doc, who suspects I may have some form of IBD. Unfortunately, it gives me such massive headaches & ringing in the ears, I just can't keep taking it. In addition, if anything it may be making my gut hurt MORE. I even tried backing down to 500mg 2x/day, still miserable. I'm going to call them tomorrow for something else. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might ask for?

TIA

David

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Hey David....Some people don't tolerate the 5-Aminosalicylic meds...You wouldn't happen to have an Aspirin or sulfa allergy too? It is a small percentage of the population, but nonetheless, there have been a few members here that have had that issue.....I was on Asacol and Pentasa at different times. I always experienced a mild headache in the beginning, but it always went away and was never horrible.....Just let him know how horrible you are feeling, he may have you discontinue the medication. Good luck

imisspopcorn said:
Hey David....Some people don't tolerate the 5-Aminosalicylic meds...You wouldn't happen to have an Aspirin or sulfa allergy too? It is a small percentage of the population, but nonetheless, there have been a few members here that have had that issue.....I was on Asacol and Pentasa at different times. I always experienced a mild headache in the beginning, but it always went away and was never horrible.....Just let him know how horrible you are feeling, he may have you discontinue the medication. Good luck
Thanks. I already discontinued it. Took my last dose nearly 24 hours ago, 1/2 the prescribed amount, & my ears are still ringing. I'm not allergic to aspirin but it does upset my stomach, ulcer-like pain, or at least it did when I took it as a kid. My 1st GI doc had me taking huge amounts of Pepto Bismol, another salicylate, it also made my ears ring at high doses, but no headaches. I've taken bactrim a fair amount, which contains sulfamethoxazole, used it for acne years ago, with no adverse effect

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Ringing in the ears with Salicylate use is a common problem with sensitivity, make sure the GI knows you have that problem.....That really stinks, I am sorry you having that side effect.....I am allergic to Bactrim, but have not had any problems...I guess the sulfa portion of these drugs is only a metabolite of the actual sulfa compound.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I was on sulfasalazine when I was first diagnosed. I have also been on asacol. They are both in the same family as pentasa.
Good luck with your phone call today. I hope you get it sorted quickly.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi David, I never had problems with Pentasa or Salofalk, they just didnt work for me. Entocort is a mild to moderate form of Prednisone, if you dont have insurance is costly. You may want to get an endscopy down the road as Pentasa has sides like every other but not so quick. I always take my meds with food, at the very least Ensure, to coat the stomach. I would contact your doctor, no one should suffer on meds. Keep us posted !!!

David, I was on pentasa 1000mg 2 times daily and I lowered my meds to 500mg 2X daily. I haven't noticed any difference. I haven't had any side effects but I'm not sure the drug is really working for me. Oh well. It is better than prednisone. I was on that for a week and had all kinds of side effects. I'm sure they can find a medication that will work for you.

-Mary

I too asked this same question to my GI, and unfortunately for myself Pentasa is the only drug that releases the mesalamine to the correct part of intestine, and there is no generic. Good luck, hopefully that helps you.