• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Always hungry

I have crohns) It doesn't matter what I eat, within ten minutes, I'm always hungry. It could be something like candy or a healthy well rounded meal. It's getting really annoying to be honest. I find myself not even eating now a days, because if I'm going to be hungry within ten minutes, what's the point. I've had this problem for almost four years , before I got diagnoised and put on medication. Does anyone have this issue?

:voodoo:

I was really hungry for a time shortly before I had an abscess grow out of control.
It seemed no matter what I did I was constantly craving sugar, and no matter how much I ate I kept craving it, and I stayed at roughly 25 lbs below my ideal weight.
Once the abscess happened and the resulting pain, I completely lost my appetite. After surgery I'm back to normal.
Do you still feel this way on your meds? Do you know what's going on inside you?
I have a hunch that your body is having a hard time absorbing key nutrients, and that's what's keeping you hungry.

Yes, I still feel this way on my medication. Weird thing is , I don't really have weight loss issues. I stay roughly at the same weight , except during flare ups. I'm consistently tired as well. I have a hunch that my body isn't absorbing the nutrients it needs too, but I've read about malnutrition symptoms and I don't really fit in that category, omit always hungry and very fatigued.

Hmmm, well I still think you might be a bit undernourished; sometimes we don't show all the symptoms of myriad causes. It could be something else though, and if I were you I'd ask my doctor about it (unless of course, you already have).
I don't know nearly as much about the digestive system as I should, but hunger is very complicated, and based on other things besides actual need for energy (bowel enzymes, perception of meals, time of day, stress/depression, etc.)

Lady Organic

Staff member
ive been eating almond butter by the scoops lately and I am so glad I discovered that. I am gaining weight and feel stuffed. lots of protein inside and a lot calcium, so much I dont even need to take my calcium supplements anymore (I combine with other calcium rich food also). almond butter spread on banana is awesome. Such mashed and soft food are easier to digest and absorb especially for us. Still dont forget to chew a lot even if food is already mashed, because saliva is part of optimal digestion.

If you are low in B12 it's very unlikely an over the counter strength supplement would be strong enough to treat it.

Low B12 can often mean very long treatment times as well, i've been taking 2 prescribed tablets per day since November, waiting for Januarys results, if normal (as expected) I will then take 1 tablet per day as a maintenance dose, because the cause of my deficiency is unknown. For those that have injections the time between them decreases, but doesn't stop for a long time.

Would it be an idea to get it checked via your Dr, along with a range of other nutrient tests, who can then prescribe anything necessary?

Also if you were this way before your diagnosis, you could be one of those people (like me) who naturally has a higher hunger level. Sucks. :ymad:

Some ways I tackle it are to ignore it between meals- annoying yes but as I tell myself it's perfectly okay to be hungry, and making sure I drink lots of water both between meals, and when eating so I feel fuller.

Personally I try not to snack between meals (if I feel dizzy etc of course I have something straight away) and having that bit more at mealtimes instead.

I also eat slowly and use a small plate to give the illusion of lots of food.

I am sorry if you've heard and tried those tips before!

Others may find regular small meals and grazing more satisfying.

Perhaps a referral to a dietician who could help you find more ways of being satisfied when it comes to food?