• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Am I alone in this? Strict liquid diet only

I was diagnosed with crohns disease last year in May and I was on remicade, but because insurance issues I went 7 months without treatment. Recently I was admitted and it turns out I'll need surgery but first I'll need to stick to a liquid diet. They have me on a strict boost only diet for 3-6 weeks and then maybe I can move on to soups and other liquids for a couple of months. The goal is to give my small intestine time to heal so the surgery goes smooth, but I feel alone and I miss solid foods so much. It's been a week into my boost only diet but I'm wondering if anyone else here has gone through this?

Hi,' bowel rest ' can help heal inflammation but not the stricture of scar tissue. I think the all liquids are to help aid the intestines to calm down, to help your weight, to help with nutrition since it can be difficult to eat solids, and a number of other reasons. There is research, and documentation that 'bowel rest' can be as successful as steroids for reducing inflammation, without the side effects that can come with steroids. However all liquids are more difficult for most to follow.
I have been on all liquids several times. Since foods were too painful it wasn't too difficult.

Hang in there! You can do this ;)
Be well, God bless

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum. I recently did 2 weeks of liquid only, drinking 6 elemental drinks per day. The drinks were called Vivonex and they tasted like wood chips. :p I definitely became obsessed with food during that time, looking over what I'd be able to eat once I could start introducing foods again, planning recipes and daydreaming what the first thing I'd eat would be. I even encouraged my friends to eat the most wonderful things they could think of on my behalf. It's difficult but worthwhile to stick to a liquid only diet if that's what your body needs for the best chance at healing. Don't give up! It's tough but you can do it! As long as there's an end date in sight, just focus on that goal of getting there.

Take care of yourself in other ways, in the meantime. When I was on liquid-only, I bought myself some lego sets and had fun putting those together. It was a good distraction away from thoughts of food, it kept my brain occupied on a fun task. I have no shame in saying that I'm an adult who likes to play legos, ha ha. So do something nice for yourself that doesn't involve food.

Hi. I was on TPN a few years ago and wasn't allowed any solid food for a while. I missed food terribly. Do some kind of hobby that takes your mind off of food. Sending you support.

Vivonex, lol, wood chips idk but seems kind. Boost is so much more palatable.
I think you are doing the right thing, all liquids. Your team seems to feel you have the discipline it takes. I believe they are looking out for you.
Once you get to soups it will get easier. Plus we are going into soup weather with loads of recipes.

You can do it!

I was on exclusive EN for over 2 months and have recently started eating plain lofflex foods and my pain is horrific. Would rather drink the modulen shakes and never eat again than have this pain.
The main way I've found it difficult is realising how much food was involved in my social life, popping out for a drink (tea) and a bit of cake with a friend or out for dinner on a special occasion but I'm not well enough for that either right now so try and not mourn for missing out on my life (that's the hardest part)

Thanks everyone for the kind words and support. I'm only 22 and life has taught me so much. I appreciate and love you all and I don't feel as alone anymore, knowing there's others out there going through what I'm going through helps a ton. It's scary and I had 2 bloody stools since last night but I'm staying strong and disciplined with my strict diet. It's not so bad, and one day for sure I'll eat solid foods again! :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Chris1244, you're definitely not alone! And you absolutely will eat solid foods again. You've got the right attitude and we're all here for you, we support you. You can get through this.

lf*, yes, I think Vivonex tasted like wood chips. It's hard to describe, but when you drink it, it's like you get a feeling of horses and barns and wood chips. :p It's not a "food-like" taste, that's for sure. Although I will say, I grew to not hate and maybe even like the taste of it. I found myself starting to crave it near the end of my liquid-only diet!

Kittyp, mourning is totally normal so don't deter yourself from having those feelings. I think we all go through periods of mourning, we got stuck with a crappy (literally) illness and didn't get to have the life we thought we'd have. It's not fair and it sucks and it's completely normal to mourn for what you thought your life would be but isn't.

lf*, yes, I think Vivonex tasted like wood chips. It's hard to describe, but when you drink it, it's like you get a feeling of horses and barns and wood chips. :p It's not a "food-like" taste, that's for sure. Although I will say, I grew to not hate and maybe even like the taste of it. I found myself starting to crave it near the end of my liquid-only diet!
I couldn't drink it, lol and was to do 8 weeks of it. I never related to horses in any way, but 'hay' now (pun). I didn't like, but thought tpn to be easier then drinking vivo. Severity is a considerable. Boost is far more tasty, and doable. I have done stretches of all liquids, for my longest stretch was about 6 months. So...
Looking at an op and getting ready for it (and i believe this persons team is really doing their due diligence)is far different then getting one out of a presumed flare. I also believe healing after a op is less complicated when steroids can be avoided and all liquids are recommended, & encouraged. So again, a team looking out for this person is my view.

Stay strong Chris! I really think your team is doing a great job for your best interest.

Be well, God bless

You are not alone!

From personal experience I would say try to drink the shakes slowly, otherwise there is a huge influx of sugars and then a crash, so hunger pains come back quicker and makes it more difficult to avoid food. The dietician advised a slow intake throughout the day rather than having shake 'meal times'.

I hope it goes well for you :)

I'm back on the shakes exclusively for a week as reintroducing food was an absolute nightmare for giving me increased pain so you are definitely not alone. Drinking through a straw really helps me, I'm on Modulen and don't really mind it when it's through a straw and when someone else mixes it as I'm so feeble its always got big nasty fat lumps in when I mix it.
I've been back on the shakes two days and feel better already, hope you are going ok? x

You are not alone!

From personal experience I would say try to drink the shakes slowly, otherwise there is a huge influx of sugars and then a crash, so hunger pains come back quicker and makes it more difficult to avoid food. The dietician advised a slow intake throughout the day rather than having shake 'meal times'.

I hope it goes well for you :)
Thanks for the advice! It makes sense because lately I've been chugging boost drinks really quickly and I've noticed an increase in apetite. I'm on a diet of 9 a day but no more than that, and recently drinking 9 has gotten easier, so I'll drink it slow from now on and throughout the day instead of every hour or 2 hours. Also I've been thinking and worrying a bit about the future and the possible surgery I may have. I'm afraid if something goes really wrong or if the surgeon makes a mistake, but that's probably all just in my head. I'm still keeping positive though! :)

Thanks for the advice! It makes sense because lately I've been chugging boost drinks really quickly and I've noticed an increase in apetite. I'm on a diet of 9 a day but no more than that, and recently drinking 9 has gotten easier, so I'll drink it slow from now on and throughout the day instead of every hour or 2 hours. Also I've been thinking and worrying a bit about the future and the possible surgery I may have. I'm afraid if something goes really wrong or if the surgeon makes a mistake, but that's probably all just in my head. I'm still keeping positive though! :)
Sending support and prayers

I couldn't drink it, lol and was to do 8 weeks of it. I never related to horses in any way, but 'hay' now (pun). I didn't like, but thought tpn to be easier then drinking vivo. Severity is a considerable. Boost is far more tasty, and doable. I have done stretches of all liquids, for my longest stretch was about 6 months. So...
Looking at an op and getting ready for it (and i believe this persons team is really doing their due diligence)is far different then getting one out of a presumed flare. I also believe healing after a op is less complicated when steroids can be avoided and all liquids are recommended, & encouraged. So again, a team looking out for this person is my view.

Stay strong Chris! I really think your team is doing a great job for your best interest.

Be well, God bless
I did forget to mention I'm on prednisone as well. Hopefully it wont complicate surgery if I need it in 6 months.

Glad to hear you're keeping positive :). Being on ensure plus actually got me in remission for the first time in years. Though admittedly introducing foods again had caused me issues. Still it's a wonder what bowel rest can do for you!

Your GI docs will be aware of the possibilty of surgery and will likely keep this in mind when prescribing, but if you're unsure or worried see if you can speak with the GI team about it. They will likely be able to sooth your concerns.

Well, my foot is not as tasty as it should be even with pretty painted toenails / foot in mouth ~ whoops. I do still believe your team is doing their best to look out for you. Are you on steroids for the duration? Or tapering? It could be something to look into, and ask your dr.

Hope all is going really well for you today.
Be well, God bless

Well, my foot is not as tasty as it should be even with pretty painted toenails / foot in mouth ~ whoops. I do still believe your team is doing their best to look out for you. Are you on steroids for the duration? Or tapering? It could be something to look into, and ask your dr.

Hope all is going really well for you today.
Be well, God bless
I'm taking 10 mg oral tablets. 4 tabs a day for 3 weeks, then 3.5 tabs a day for 1 week, then 3 tabs for 1 week and then it's 5 mg a day for one week and then I stop. So I think it's only short term, thankfully. And I'm feeling good today, I just have some cramps and last night I felt a little bloated but I'm great. This is all so new to me so I'm still learning and I appreciate you all so much. God bless :)