• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Am I ready for surgery? 5 days away!

I'm lying to myself and my family that I am ready and looking forward to moving on from all the pain and symptoms after the proctocolectomy. But actually I am pretty damn scared. This is the biggest, most life-altering surgery yet and I am terrified. Anxiety, depression, panic attacks. I'm on a holter monitor now because of palpitations - probably stress. I just keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end. If only I could just skip to the that part.

Thanks for letting me vent - Amy

Terriernut

Its certainly understandable to be frightened of a big proceedure like what you are going to go thru.

Can I suggest you go to our Stoma subforum and have a look around? It may put you more at ease.

:kiss:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh Amy, as Misty said, it is normal to be scared of surgery and especially a surgery like yours.

I hope things settle down for you hun and I'm sure you will get through it just fine. Everything is crossed for you mate that all goes well and I will be thinking about you!

:goodluck: hun and deep breaths!

:hang:

Dusty. xxx

Hi Amy

Well, I have just been through that surgery 2 weeks ago (16 days to be precise).

I just drove for a couple of hours now... and went to do some errands...

I won't say its a picnic, because I was in a very difficult state before the surgery, but overall I can't complain.

I spoke on the phone with my family a few hours after the surgery. Was out of bed 2 days after and working on my laptop, and released from hospital on day 8.

The worst part - the hospital bed wasn't very comfortable and having to lie on one's back for prolonged periods hurt my skinny back. With hindsight, I would have taken a comfortable mattress overlay or pillow with me.

They give you a morphine pump so you can use as much as you need. The worst pain though wasn't from the surgery, it was from a couple of staples that were sitting on a nerve. Since those were taken out this week, I am in slight discomfort here and there, but compared to the Crohn's pain I had before its nothing.

Getting used to being "different" and wearing a bag is probably the most difficult part for me emotionally. But logically - I am spending less time dealing with that than I was spending in the toilet before the surgery.

It takes a few days for the bowels to start working after the surgery - the surgeon told me to chew chewing gum - helps start the bowels - there are many studies supporting this - so that was good tip. And once the bowels start working, there are some colicky pains for a couple of days, so if they offer you anti-spasmodic drugs for those - take them. It does provide relief. After a couple of days, it normalizes.

Take a comfortable pillow to sit on, as the backside heals. Once they take out the stitches there (about 2 weeks), you shouldn't feel anything.

Good luck!

Hopeful,
Thank you very much for your post. I feel better knowing you are only two weeks post-op and feeling that much better. I appreciate you sharing the details of your surgery so I know better what to expect. Good luck to you and please keep me posted on how you are doing!

ps - I will definitely bring a comfortable pillow with me! :)

-Amy

I went through a roller coaster of emotions probably around day 5 after the surgery, crying and all. I heard it happens to many, probably a side effect of the anesthesia. But after that was over, it got better all the time.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Your feelings are certainly justified. But try to think positive! I hope you feel terrific after this surgery!