• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ambien only ten of them...Why?

maria

I love you God.
what do you think of ambien?? Good or bad? Just wonder why my insurance will only cover ten of them?:confused2: :yfaint::sign0085::sign0085:

Also if I had to pay it wouldnt be a broblem.. just they will only give me ten???

Most sleep aids are considered addictive - so they limit how many you can be prescribed, so you don't become dependent.
Ambien can also have interesting "side effects".
It has been linked with bizarre behavior in some people.
I had a friend on it (in Australia it's called Stilnox) .... he called up one night insisting his house was being invaded by aliens. It was the Stilnox talking. I still had to go around there and chase away the aliens though!
There was another fellow who woke up in his neighbors house, on the couch, wearing a wedding dress. Other people have cooked meals, driven cars etc. One person fell to their death.

So let us know what you get up to with your 10 Ambiens! It could be entertaining!!
But be careful.

Last edited:
I was on ambien for about a month and a half. I had the craziest dreams, almost hallucinations when I was taking this. Wake up in the middle of the night thinking my wife had,eaten pancakes in our bed and convinced that she needed to get undressed because there was syrup all over the bed. She told me to go back to bed and I can remember getting so angry that she didn't believe me. I fell back asleep and didn't remember a thing the next morning until my wife reminded me what happened. I knew I needed to get off the ambien after that.

maria

I love you God.
Most sleep aids are considered addictive - so they limit how many you can be prescribed, so you don't become dependent.
Ambien can also have interesting "side effects".
It has been linked with bizarre behavior in some people.
I had a friend on it (in Australia it's called Stilnox) .... he called up one night insisting his house was being invaded by aliens. It was the Stilnox talking. I still had to go around there and chase away the aliens though!
There was another fellow who woke up in his neighbors house, on the couch, wearing a wedding dress. Other people have cooked meals, driven cars etc. One person fell to their death.

So let us know what you get up to with your 10 Ambiens! It could be entertaining!!
But be careful.
:) your right. I do very weird things when I take them. when I take them I make sure I don't have my kids but it's the only way I get a real good nights rest. The natural way seems to keep me up.

maria

I love you God.
:) your right. I do very weird things when I take them. when I take them I make sure I don't have my kids but it's the only way I get a real good nights rest. The natural way seems to keep me up.
I do have stories:( I thought it was just me.

hmm... insurance companies are weird on what and how much they will pay for! I take ambien off and on and it really helps me to get to sleep. I've never had really weird dreams or behaviors on it, but I know everyone is different!

I was put back on Elavil to help me sleep. A few years ago, my doc upped my dose because I was also having a really hard time with depression, and THAT made me hallucinate.. during the day, at night, a lot! Turns out I was on too high of a dose for me. My friends all thought I was nuts when I talked about the little freaking leprechaun that followed me, but to me, it was really scary when it happened!

maria

I love you God.
hmm... insurance companies are weird on what and how much they will pay for! I take ambien off and on and it really helps me to get to sleep. I've never had really weird dreams or behaviors on it, but I know everyone is different!

I was put back on Elavil to help me sleep. A few years ago, my doc upped my dose because I was also having a really hard time with depression, and THAT made me hallucinate.. during the day, at night, a lot! Turns out I was on too high of a dose for me. My friends all thought I was nuts when I talked about the little freaking leprechaun that followed me, but to me, it was really scary when it happened!
LOL!! HA I'm so glad I'm not alone on this. I told a friend she had ten heads and I held up 3 fingers. One night I tore my kitchen apart looking for food and woke up holding crackers to my chest. I thought to myself I think I need to admit myself. I'm losing it.. My scariest moment is usually after I take one I hide the bottle just incase. Well I had 2 left and I woke up and looked they were gone! I know I took them after I took the one. This was actually after I posted this.So I guess I sorta answered my question.. It's just hard becaause without them I would NEVER sleep.

I take Stilnox, but only occasionally when it's really important that I have a good sleep, and then I only take ¼ to ½ a tablet. It's enough to tip me over into sleep, especially if I wake up in the night and can't get back to sleep.

Whereas I used to be able to go to the toilet "in my sleep", since I've had the ileostomy I find that I have to really wake up to make sure that I've cleaned up the bag opening and closed it properly.

That and Lunesta (sp) jacked me up in a bad, bad way.

Now I take Benedryl most nights- its non addictive- my dr said much better for me!! I just love the fact I can sleep all night with out waking up and it makes me feel sleepy. Give it a try.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Sounds like you may need something else besides a sleep aid. There are a lot of medications out there that can make you sleepy so perhaps something for anxiety to help you sleep would be better. I know Xanax is also prescribed as a sleep aid (my fiance takes it) and I take Klonopin along with Ambien to help me sleep. You might have also been on too high of a dose. Normally they start you out with 5mg but this last doctor I saw was handing out 10mg to everybody. Luckily the 5mg still works and the 10mg isn't too much for me so some nights I only take half of one by using a pill cutter (always make sure your meds aren't time release before cutting them).

True all these meds can be habit forming but what's the price of sleep? Insomnia is a legitimate condition and if you need help falling asleep, use what works. My old GI actually suggested I have a couple glasses of wine before bed before he sent me to a sleep disorder clinic. I wasn't even of drinking age yet, still the best GI I've ever had. :p

what do you think of ambien?? Good or bad? Just wonder why my insurance will only cover ten of them?:confused2: :yfaint::sign0085::sign0085:

Also if I had to pay it wouldnt be a broblem.. just they will only give me ten???
Hi there,
I take ambien several nights a week and swear by it!It helps me get a good 7-8 hours of sleep. I just need to make sure that I'm in bed when I take it! I have heard stories of people overeating or making strange phone calls. I'm not sure why your ins. will only cover 10 pills.

I had a friend who's husband absolutely LOVED when she took an ambien...said it made her much less inhibited, if you get my point, lol! And another friend swears that if you take a xanax around 3:30 in the afternoon, by the time you get to bed, you will sleep great.
I frequently employ the one or two glasses of wine to help. Something about wine just makes me sleepy.

I have loud tinnitus, ringing in the ears and this is a great drug. I have been taking it for a few years with no problems with the exception of my ex girlfriend liked to take advantage me right when I was dosing off.

It's not like we weren't having a good time at night together. I think it was just her inner dominatrix who would take charge and have me do anything she wanted. I don't think we did anything out of bounds. I never woke up with melted wax in my private areas. I should have liked to be fully there when she lost her inhibitions. She didn't do it often and I would always hear the details in the morning, which excite us to have some fully awake roll around fun. No worries, I never felt like a victim.

The only exception to needing it is after a big day of exercise or physical activity, I can go without Ambien. But since my diagnosis 6 months ago and the roller coaster of flares, my GI Doc advises I can't put the stress of exercise on my body until remission. And we broke it very off long before I was diagnosed. I am thinking if she tried that now, she might just get a surprise from my bowels.

I have sleep pooped a few times. always in the right place.

Bufford

All the sleep aids are habit forming, they provide sleep but its a chemically induced rest that is not as deep as a good natural sleep.
Before hitting the medicine cabinet try some natural sleep aids. Melatonin tablets can be effective in breaking up insomnia. Try taking some honey right from the jar, a big spoon full or squirt from the container half an hour prior to bed time.