• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

An Interesting Observation (poll)

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
When I first got on the forum, I mentioned mangosteen juice, and I was boo'd out of the water. Me and GNC guy were about lone voices for alternatives except for probiotics because those seem to be universally approved by GI docs and patients. In fact, there was a post that actually called me irresponsible for mentioning alternatives. However, now, it is such a hot topic about what alternatives are being added in with or without the traditional meds. And thus, I thought I would start a thread we had a long time ago --

What traditional or alternative meds. / treatments are you on?

And then we can ask each other questions about effectiveness based on what's listed . . .

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
1.5 oz. Xango Brand Mangosteen Juice
1 oz. acai juice, CAOH brand
1 AM / 1PM probiotic from GeneFlora
1-2 Activa
1 Emergen-C packet
All daily. Imitrex for the occasional migraine, Requip for my annoying bouncy legs (also serves as a great sleep-inducer).
Pretty much symptom-free for nearly a year.

1. probiotic supplement of l acidophilus and l casei taken daily
2. mangosteen juice shot whenevr i remember
3. vitamin b12 pill

Cara wished I could try your mangosteen juice but I am too poor to pay for it. Thats my only problem with it. I actually want to find a way so I never have to take meds again. I thank you for introducing mangosteen to us all. I really think everyone should be willing to try anything they can to get healthy no matter what and come on it's juice so their shouldn't be worries about it being bad for you. I will one day try it and when I do I will be damn shure to post it here. Thanks for the cocktails.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Yes, it's kinda expensive. I agree. When I first started I was on two things at $15 a month each and VSL #3 at $75 a month. I added that up and decided $100 a month of Mangosteen was pretty much trading one for one. Now, I only drink about $60 a month in juice and $20 in probiotics. But hey, I am actually spending $60-$100 a month on health. Yes, true, it is an investment in my health and if it works, it is a good way to go, but at root, we have to hold aside money each month to pay for the stuff. It would be better not to have to, but since I do, we do. In time, Jeff, you will be out there in the earning world and maybe you can try the mangosteen . . . or maybe they will cure us. Wouldn't that be nice?

I have some of the Mongosteen but It gave me diareea so I stopped taking it. I haven't used any others, I'm going back soon so I will ask DR about a few others I've heard here. Do Probiotics really work, it just sounds gross releasing bacteria in my body.

you already have a ton of bacteria and even worms in your body already. theres good bacteria and bad bacteria, this stuff is good

diaherrea is not uncommon when you start out on these types of products including probiotics because you are changing the composition of the flora that live in your body. basically all that acidophilus is killing all the bad bacteria and a sudden and extreme change like that takes a week or 2 for your body to get used to. it's not always bad but you just need to make sure it doesnt go overboard.