• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

And Today I Sh*t My Pants...

:sign0085:

I have made a few postings on the undiagnosed club pages over the last while (great forum!)...and if you've read them, you may already know that I went to my GI doc to talk about my stomach issues and he dismissed it as being IBS, and told me that there was no point in doing a colonoscopy.

And, I must admit, I sort of believed him. Because my symptoms just don't seem to fit I guess...at least in my mind...because they come and go, and are usually broken apart by periods of constipation (not where you don't go for days, I still go frequently (like 6+ times/day) but it's like pooping rocks, and hurts like heck)...so even my constipation isn't really "constipation" by the textbook definition.

Anyway, fast forward a bit...I am in my latest bout of something (of what, I can't even begin to figure out). It started last Saturday. I had the mother of all stomach aches, and I felt like I had the world's worst case of reflux (and that's saying a lot, coming from me!). I was also really lethargic, and just not feeling too hot. So I ended up sleeping most of the day, but the pain just kept getting worse and worse...

And then the vomiting hit. It was like my body just couldn't stand the reflux and pain anymore and I vomited repeatedly for a good 12-16 hours. I tried taking gravol, threw it up. Tried an anti-emetic, threw that up. Tried a sip of water...you guessed it, up it came. It was a very long night (why does this always start in the evening????) The weird thing though, is that I was throwing up undigested food (from my lunch a good 8 hours previous). And the stomach pain was incredible.

So...finally, the vomiting ceases. At this point I'm thinking, man, I must have the flu (again?!?!?!....this would be "flu" #5 in the past 8 months).

To make a long story short, by Sunday I had spiked a high fever (over 101F) and I felt like crap. Couldn't touch food or water, everything just made me sick as a dog. Couldn't get out of bed at all. Monday rolls around, and the diarrhea hits. Major stomach cramping and mini-races to the washroom....again, and again and again....this lasts for 2 solid days.

Now, today. Here I thought I was finally getting better. And I'm sitting in the living room and the next thing I know, massive stomach pain and I'm sh*tting my pants!!!!

I was sooo embarrassed!!! By the time I had cleaned myself up I was crying like a baby with my poor husband trying to console me...and what happens...it repeats itself!!!!

Now, I'm on stints of barely able to make it to the bathroom. I am literally sitting in the doorway to our washroom now, because I'm too afraid to move.

My stomach is in agony...it's rock hard, it's so bloated, it's stretching the skin on my abdomen and I can't eat or drink a thing (I tried to eat a little chicken breast today...and look what happened!)

So...what I want to know....is....does this sound like the flu to any of you??? I am not that familiar with the flu, I have to admit. But it's starting to seem fishy to me that I am somehow catching virus after virus repeatedly (meanwhile, my hubby has not caught any of these "highly contagious" viruses from me....)

Am I being paranoid? I'm booked for a gastroscopy on April 16, and I'm beginning to think that I should insist that they do a colonoscopy at the same time (since I'm there already...not that I really want to of course...*sigh*).

What do you all think???

Me = :poo:

Ah Razzyyirt, I am sorry that you are having such a hard time, without any answers. I think that Dustykat, one of our most helpful forum members, has said it the best--tell them that after they prove to you that it is not something more significant than 'just' the 'flu--you'll admit that you are overreacting and leave them alone. Until then, they can treat you as the ill person that you are and they can start being more procative in finding out what is wrong so that you can get better, whatever the problem is. I agree, ask for the colonoscopy at the same time and for them to do any other tests that will help them diagnose the problem.

Just a thought--have you been tested for c. difficile? It is an intestinal infection that can cause diarrhea.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Raz, do all of your "flu bugs" come with the same symptoms? Do you get vomiting, fever, etc every time one of these "viruses" hits? If they are all pretty similar, and especially if nobody around you is catching the same supposed virus, then I would think they're probably flares. When I was first ill, they told me it was viral gastroenteritis (and they were surprised my husband hadn't caught it too). About 6 weeks after my initial "virus" I came down with the same symptoms. My GP was immediately suspicious. He said it is rare but I could have caught the same or a similar virus twice in as many months. By the 3rd time I had the same "virus" they referred me to a GI and started ordering tests to look for things like Crohn's and celiac.

It sounds to me like your doc isn't taking you seriously. It's good that you are having an upper endoscopy but a colonoscopy would be good to have as well, and as Happy said, you should be able to have them both done at the same time (that way they only need to sedate you once instead of 2 separate times, you only need to prep once, etc). If it were me, I'd be on the phone with that doctor demanding to have a c-scope done. And if he still blows you off, I'd start looking around for new doctors post haste.

For what it's worth, I completely feel for you on the crapping your pants thing. I've poo'ed myself once, fortunately it was at home, but I was so humiliated. I threw my clothes in the wash and then just cried in the shower, I felt so embarassed and horrified with myself.

If the vomiting persists, if the fever doesn't come down, if you get any new symptoms or if anything gets worse or just doesn't change, please go to the ER. Vomiting is never a good sign especially if you can't even keep water down. At the very least, you are probably dehydrated and might need IV fluids. And potentially it could be something more serious like a blockage. Worried about you! I hope things get better very soon and that you can get some solid answers and also a doctor who takes you seriously. Big hugs to you!

Thanks for the feedback!

I did make a phone call to my GI doc to see about getting a colonoscopy arranged for the same day as the gastroscopy (although I have to admit that the thought of it terrifies me....I have very bad rectal problems (fissures, bleeding, tags, pain) and I'm worried about how much it's going to hurt!)

I am also booked for an esophageal manometry test in a little over a weeks time. I'm actually pretty scared about this one as well. I've tried to do it once before and I couldn't get the damn catheter down. The surgeon gave me some ativan to take beforehand, so I hope that helps me get through it!

Anyone else have any experience with these tests??? Sometimes I just feel like I'm a major wuss because I struggle so much with all this medical stuff, but I guess I'm just getting to the point where I'm sick and tired of people poking and prodding me!

And, Cat, the vomiting has stopped (thank goodness!). As for the bugs all being similar...this one is pretty much the same as what I've had before, except for the vomiting. Usually I just feel like I'm going to vomit, and want to really badly, to make the pain stop...but don't actually vomit.

The only difference with this bug or whatever the heck it is, is this one seems even more severe than any of the others. So, it's the same symptoms, they're just lasting longer now and are more persistent (like, last night...I think I got maybe a 5 minute break at the most from the big D...until about 3:30am, when it finally settled down a little...or I was empty :p)

So, any support you guys can offer would really be appreciated, because I have to admit all this is really stressing me out and I'm getting kind of scared. I'm scared of having things shoved down my throat and up my backside, of pain, of things going wrong...and of what they could find. So, yah, it's just great to hear from others in the same predicament!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Raz, I'm glad the vomiting has stopped. I know that around these parts there is apparently a nasty norovirus/stomach bug thing going around lately so if you don't usually get vomiting then maybe you caught a bug and it aggravated your usual symptoms, something like that? Or maybe it's just a particularly nasty flare. I don't usually vomit either in my flares so vomiting is a red flag to me that something else may be going on.

As for worrying about tests, I think that's normal to worry a little about the unknown, but try not to be too anxious. The colonoscopy itself is a pretty easy test. The prep is the worst part - you have to drink this laxative drink which doesn't taste very nice and it makes you have "pee out your butt" type diarrhea to clean you out completely. So expect to spend the day before the colonoscopy mostly in the bathroom, or at least the part of the day that occurs after you drink the prep. Make sure you have a good book or laptop computer or something like that to keep you entertained because you will be spending LOTS of time on the toilet (yes, unfortunately even more time than usual). You'll have to do a liquid-only diet as well while you're doing the prep so you will probably be hungry. But the prep is the worst of it.

The c-scope itself is really easy peasy. They give you this stuff called twilight sedation where it mostly knocks you out and you don't remember a thing afterwards. I've had twilight sedation twice and I don't remember a thing from either scope. I woke up both times feeling fully rested and not in any pain, it was just like having a nice nap. I get fissures, hemmies, skin tags and anal pain as well but the scope didn't aggravate any of my butt issues so I wouldn't worry there. They do pump air into your colon during the colonoscopy so you will likely fart quite a lot upon waking up after the procedure. But once you wake up you'll probably talk to your doctor about what they saw on the scope and then you'll go home and then you can eat again. :) You'll need someone to drive you to the procedure and home again as the sedation will affect your ability to drive, even after you wake up.

I haven't had the manometry test you mentioned so I don't have any experience with that one. If you do a search of the forums, you might find another thread about it. Otherwise, you might want to post about it in the "Tests for IBD" forum and see if you get more responses there as I'm not sure how many people will see this thread.

I hope things get better for you soon and you get some relief from these symptoms. Did your doctor prescribe anything for the symptoms, such as Zofran for the nausea or Lomotil for the diarrhea? Those won't help get you out of this flare but they will probably give you some relief from the symptoms at least. Good luck with the scope(s), in the meantime hang in there, and I hope you feel better soon!

I know how you feel. It feels awful to go through that, and embarrassing. I've poo'd myself twice. The first was at home, thankfully. I too had one of those viruses that no one else seemed to get, but I was pooing and throwing up constantly for 2 days. The second time, not so thankfully, I was at the mall shopping with my mom. She knew I'd been having some issues but didn't quite know how bad they were. I cleaned up in the bathroom as well as I could, and then tied my jacket around my waist. I think the most embarrassing thing I've ever done was telling my mom why we had to leave then. That was the last time I ate then went shopping, and one of the last times I've gone shopping. I'm now careful not to eat anything if I know I have to go out, and that doesn't always keep me from having to run to the nearest bathroom. Like you, I'm still in the middle of testing. I've had a colonoscopy and endoscopy, and go for another colonoscopy Friday. I agree the tests are not fun, and they are nerve racking, but I've made it to the point that having an answer and knowing how to go forward are worth whatever I have to go through. Right now whatever this is is controlling my life, and I want it back! I hope your tests give you some answers!

You know...this may seem silly...but I feel bad for pushing for the colonoscopy. I can't even explain why I guess...just that the doc told me that it wasn't necessary and that there is no way I could have IBD. I get into my head that it's just going to come back all normal and they'll think I'm a hypochondriac.

Does anyone else ever feel this way??? I guess it has to do with the fact that I've had sooo many medical tests, and a large percentage of them come back normal...and yet I feel so crappy.

No one can give me any explanation for why I feel so awful. I can't even work full time. I get so worn down and exhausted, that I can't function by the end of the week (which is really hard right now, cuz I'm trying to survive a very difficult internship in the medical field...and they haven't been too happy with all the sick days I've been taking...)

And then, I just seem to be catching everything! I've had 2 really huge events like the one I'm going through now, in the past 8 months. Then I've had a number of colds, and then small bouts of stomach upset and diarrhea. And yet, the docs tell me that I'm perfectly healthy!

So...does anyone else feel this doubtful about all this? I tried talking to my family a bit about my concerns and they think I'm crazy for getting a colonoscopy at 25. My mom told me that "everyone has their weak spots, yours is obviously your gut, mine's my sinuses" and that I just need to accept it, that it doesn't mean it's a disease or anything. She figures that I've just caught a few bugs..."everyone catches bugs like this, you hear about it all the time"

So...now I'm really doubting myself and kinda wishing I didn't call the doc. He's going to talk to the surgeon, and the surgeon is probably gonna think I'm crazy...and...blah...like I said. Super doubtful. Now I'm convinced that it's really not that bad, and I'm just blowing a little bad luck with some stomach bugs way out of proportion! (although...would my hubby have caught them if they were actually viruses, or are they really not that contagious...and grrr....what a day!)

Before this was named Crohns- it was called "sundowners" syndrome. Because your right as the "sun sets" the diease comes alive and makes you sick. Great because your GI does not have office hours at night to see how sick you are! Crohns can seem like a cruel disease. Do you stay home and "tough" it out or go to the ER so the Er docs can chart how sick you are!?!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Raz, do not feel bad. You know you need this test and don't let your doctors make you feel crazy for wanting answers! Another thing, with IBS you do not get woken up to have D, and you do not bleed. You do not get fevers with IBS. Those are all red flag symptoms that something more than "just IBS" is going on. Don't let them tell you it's IBS and keep fighting for that colonoscopy!

I really think you need to start looking for a more knowledgeable and compassionate doctor if your current one just continues to blow you off as having IBS/being crazy for wanting a c-scope. You're legitimately ill and you need a doctor who listens! Even if all your test results come back normal, it doesn't mean that you're crazy and/or not ill. All of my test results have come back normal, but I know I have a legitimate illness and I'm not crazy. At one point I had a doctor (not my regular doc thank goodness) tell me I "look depressed" and I have IBS. He then tried to push anti-depressants on me. I got so upset, put my foot down and said yes - I am depressed. But only because I'm ill and nobody can figure out what's wrong! Fix my guts and my depression will magically go away, I promise! Then I demanded to try prednisone. This doctor agreed on the condition that I try an IBS med first. I tried the IBS med and it did nothing. Then I tried prednisone and it worked wonders. That was the real turning point for me, both my GP and GI know well enough that pred works for IBD but not IBS. They both took me pretty seriously from the beginning, but at that point they started treating me as though I have some form of IBD, and because of that I'm now in remission.

So long story short, you have to keep fighting for yourself - even if bad doctors make you feel bad or sad or crazy. You KNOW you're ill, don't let them push you around! Fight for tests, fight for meds, fight for answers. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, I promise, but you have to keep fighting for it! Big hugs to you, I have been there done that and I really feel for you. Don't give up. We're here for you fighting in your corner too!

Not a hypochondriac

I have had over thirty years of doctors telling me that my symptoms are 'in my head.'

I have never been diagnosed properly but now they have to listen because I have a fistula that leaks feces most of the day. I am very sad though and tired of being my own advocate.

Hopefully the tests will give you a correct diagnosis.

I definitely think you need to have a colonoscopy. i was in your position when I was first diagnosed. It started that my upset stomach only came after a night out of drinking with my friends..then they started coming all the time, and I wasn't fortunate enough to have my "accidents" at home..talk about embarrassing and inconvenient..its mortifying to say the least...then I found out I had severe crohns disease and after 5 years, I still havent gone into remission..so make sure you do what you can to catch it now. like the others said, if the doctors want to say its nothing, then let them prove it! I always say better safe than sorry! I let it go too long and look at me, dont let that happen to you. You know your body better than anyone, make them do a colonoscopy and if nothings wrong then awesome! but I'd rather let the tests show it, not just an opinion! :) Good luck! I'll be praying for you

Never ever feel guilt about asking for tests it is your body and you are the one in charge, if it was a child of your you wouldn't think twice about being their advocat so just take the bull by the horns. Sen if they do come back normal you have 100% done the right thing. It is not normal to have so many bouts of sickness and you have to get to the bottom of it and let's get real it's hardly as if a colonoscopy is brain surgery they do them day in day out. Frankly if it doesn't show anything I'd request further tests don't be shy. Good luck

Sooo many of us have been in your same spot! I had food poisoning from Jack n the Box (e coli) and had those symptoms; when they did the colonoscopy things looked irritated but normal. I was told for at least 10 years until I developed a fistula and iritis. Just hang in there. Follow what your body tells you and keep telling the doctors how you're feeling; sooner or later you will find one that takes you seriously.

Hi Everyone! Thanks for all the posts, it's great to get the support!

This morning I had my esophageal manometry test done. Talk about a nasty test!!! I never want to have to do that one again, my whole face and throat is soooo bloody sore now!

But...I did it!! I'm sooo proud of myself for getting through this one, cuz I really didn't want to do it.

Long story short though, the nurse did point out one thing to me...I guess I have an "abnormality" on the test. Something about me swallowing the liquid, then it just sits in my esophagus for awhile before eventually being cleared away. So...some sort of problem with swallowing, or the esophagus, or a motility issue???? I'm not sure. Of course I couldn't get a full explanation, I have to wait for the doc to review it and give the results to my surgeon. The nurse just wanted to tell me that there were problems there so she could warn me to "chew thoroughly, and eat very very slowly" until I hear back from the doctor.

So, that's one test of three down! Maybe they will finally be able to tell me what's going on with me!!! I have the gastric emptying exam next week. And my gastroscopy is in April. I am still waiting to hear back about the colonoscopy. It would definitely be nice to have all of that out of the way at once...and then maybe I can actually get some answers!!!!!!!!!

I'm almost scared to get hopeful that they will figure out what is going on with me :p But, time for me to go try to eat a little (my poor face, mouth and throat!)

HI, I know this post is old, but when I came across it, I had to add my 2 cents worth. I had an hmo (devils spawn) a long time ago. I was very sick and thought I had aids. I kept telling my doc my symptoms and he would literally pat me on the head and say " there, there, you're too young to have all these symptoms" and wouldn't give me a lab slip to do any tests. I guess some docs still believe in "women's hysteria" It finally got so bad that I went in to see him with a list of blood work I wanted done. I told him "I'm not leaving this office until I either get a lab slip or in handcuffs, YOU decide" I got my lab slip needless to say. I had Hep C. When he got the results, he told me " oh well, you probably had it so long, you're not contagious anymore" Dumb Sh*t. The point is that not all docs know what they're talking about. If you're not happy with your doc. and can't change, stand up for yourself. It's your body and you know it better than anyone. Do online research and read patient reviews to find a better doc. You must be your own advocate and always stand up for yourself. If one doc. sucks, find another. It's your life you're dealing with and it is you who must find a way to keep it. I hope you are doing better now. Btw, I am cured of Hep C since 2000. But I am here now because I was just diagnosed with Crohn's. But I will talk abut that in a different post. Blessings to all.

I have made a few postings on the undiagnosed club pages over the last while (great forum!)...and if you've read them, you may already know that I went to my GI doc to talk about my stomach issues and he dismissed it as being IBS, and told me that there was no point in doing a colonoscopy.

And, I must admit, I sort of believed him. Because my symptoms just don't seem to fit I guess...at least in my mind...because they come and go, and are usually broken apart by periods of constipation (not where you don't go for days, I still go frequently (like 6+ times/day) but it's like pooping rocks, and hurts like heck)...so even my constipation isn't really "constipation" by the textbook definition.

Anyway, fast forward a bit...I am in my latest bout of something (of what, I can't even begin to figure out). It started last Saturday. I had the mother of all stomach aches, and I felt like I had the world's worst case of reflux (and that's saying a lot, coming from me!). I was also really lethargic, and just not feeling too hot. So I ended up sleeping most of the day, but the pain just kept getting worse and worse...

And then the vomiting hit. It was like my body just couldn't stand the reflux and pain anymore and I vomited repeatedly for a good 12-16 hours. I tried taking gravol, threw it up. Tried an anti-emetic, threw that up. Tried a sip of water...you guessed it, up it came. It was a very long night (why does this always start in the evening????) The weird thing though, is that I was throwing up undigested food (from my lunch a good 8 hours previous). And the stomach pain was incredible.

So...finally, the vomiting ceases. At this point I'm thinking, man, I must have the flu (again?!?!?!....this would be "flu" #5 in the past 8 months).

To make a long story short, by Sunday I had spiked a high fever (over 101F) and I felt like crap. Couldn't touch food or water, everything just made me sick as a dog. Couldn't get out of bed at all. Monday rolls around, and the diarrhea hits. Major stomach cramping and mini-races to the washroom....again, and again and again....this lasts for 2 solid days.

Now, today. Here I thought I was finally getting better. And I'm sitting in the living room and the next thing I know, massive stomach pain and I'm sh*tting my pants!!!!

I was sooo embarrassed!!! By the time I had cleaned myself up I was crying like a baby with my poor husband trying to console me...and what happens...it repeats itself!!!!

Now, I'm on stints of barely able to make it to the bathroom. I am literally sitting in the doorway to our washroom now, because I'm too afraid to move.

My stomach is in agony...it's rock hard, it's so bloated, it's stretching the skin on my abdomen and I can't eat or drink a thing (I tried to eat a little chicken breast today...and look what happened!)

So...what I want to know....is....does this sound like the flu to any of you??? I am not that familiar with the flu, I have to admit. But it's starting to seem fishy to me that I am somehow catching virus after virus reeatedly (meanwhile, my hubby has not caught any of these "highly contagious" viruses from me....)

Am I being paranoid? I'm booked for a gastroscopy on April 16, and I'm beginning to think that I should insist that they do a colonoscopy at the same time (since I'm there already...not that I really want to of course...*sigh*).

What do you all think???

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. It sounds very similar to the things I go through. My symptoms used to be very mild and they always told me it was IBS or "bad nerves" ( even though I am one of the calmest people you could ever meet) . At the onset of my very first serious flair up back in 2010 I was sitting on the couch and I though I was just going to pass gas, but instead I pooped all over, and second later came the bloat, the pain, the blood and mucus, and a 1 1/2 year long flair up that kept me confined to home.. meanwhile the doctor kept telling me it was hormones from pregnancy, then after my son was born they claimed it was hormones from breast feeding. I can totally relate to the constipation thing too. It really sucks! My symptoms come and go as well... I just switched docs and found out I definitely have crohn's, and in addition something called a cecal vulvulous (gut is twisted around the area of the cecum... very rare in women) which is very dangerous... potentially fatal, and I was previously lied to and told I had a really, really bad gall bladder. New ultrasounds however show nothing but a couple very tiny gall stones and also gall bladder is within normal range and functioning well. Even though my gut has untwisted for the moment I will be having surgery to fix the problem because it can reoccur. Partial blockages, and narrowing gastrointestinal track can cause constipation in crohns although it is far more rare than the diahrea, so it really sucks when the doctor wont run diagnostic procedures... with a decision based on what is considered "normal". It took me years ( and changing doctors) to finally get the correct diagnostic procedures done and find out what is wrong with me. I guess what I am saying is always trust your intuition and don't be afraid to insist on a second opinion, and if your doctor is ignoring certain symptoms and not doing his/her part to run diagnostic procedures, find another one ( if I hadn't done so it could have cost me my life)!!!

So...what I want to know....is....does this sound like the flu to any of you??? I am not that familiar with the flu, I have to admit. But it's starting to seem fishy to me that I am somehow catching virus after virus repeatedly (meanwhile, my hubby has not caught any of these "highly contagious" viruses from me....)

What do you all think???

Hi I'm going threw that ATM I had to ring my Mum to see if she could drop off sum loo paper cose I was nearly out and my bum is soooo sore I'm not much help but I do simpaize with u