• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anemia

I'm new to the forum today. I'm 52, small frame, fit, healthy and active until this hit June 2013. I finally broke down went to a GI doctor a week ago; I was just told I have Crohn's on March 5th. I haven't ate junky food, fast food, fried food but a handful of times in 20years. I eat fruits, raw veggies, & beans with chicken and fish just twice a week. I don't do dairy. In my mind unhealthy unfit people get sick. Yet here I am with this....I was upset all day Wednesday, Thursday I became better as I read of others successes. I'm anemic, I'm so tired...this is the worse part for me! I started taking Floradix yesterday; will my iron go up quickly or will this be a struggle while there is still bleeding?

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome. Unfortunately a healthy life style is no guarantee against IBD. Sorry I can't answer your question. I'd recommend a food diary to try and identify problem foods. I need to cook my veggies to the point where I can mash them with my fork or I might as well book a reservation in the ER.
Hope you feel better soon.

afidz

Super Moderator
Unfortunately, it will probably take a while for your iron to go back up to a normal level, especially if you are bleeding. Do you know what your hemoglobin level is? I think some doctors will do blood transfusions or iron infusions after 10, but some wait until it gets to 8 or lower. Crohn's disease itself can make you tired as well, your body is fighting, and that takes a lot of energy. I know its a huge adjustment, but its best to give in to the tiredness and rest often, help your body heal. You will notice that as you get your disease under control your energy level will increase and you can start going back to the life style you are used to.
Like DJW said, raw veggies are usually harmful to us. They are to hard for our digestive systems to digest. When I am in a bad flare, I can't even eat cooked veggies unless they are in a consistency like mashed potatoes. The beans you are eating might be upsetting your guts as well. But in all honestly, its hard to say. Everyone is different as to what food they can or can not handle. Like DJW suggested, keep a food diary and note when you feel sick. From that you can see what foods are likely upsetting you and you can take them out of your diet. As you start to feel better you can slowly start to reintroduce those foods back onto your diet.
I know its all scary, and a big life style change, but we are all here for each other.